And I start!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, today I bought a single head hammer coral from my lfs. I aclamated it for a hour and a half when I put him in the tank he only opened up about 1/4 of the way. He has been in for about 3 hours. I know I am probably jumping the gun on thinking something is wrong but is this normal?

jjamontan said:
Ok, today I bought a single head hammer coral from my lfs. I aclamated it for a hour and a half when I put him in the tank he only opened up about 1/4 of the way. He has been in for about 3 hours. I know I am probably jumping the gun on thinking something is wrong but is this normal?

Pics?.

Hammer corals can take a little bit to open. Which type of hammer? Wall? Branching? Make sure you have it in the right flow and light or won't open fully either

So I have a uv Sterilizer new in the box and not sure if I want to use it. What will it benefit my tank?

Everyone has different opinions on uv. I am personally for it. It does remove a lot of bad bacteria and sometimes parasites. Those in opposition would say that it has no bias as to what bacteria it kills

Diatoms go away with time unless something is feeding it. Your LFS should be able to check for phosphates.

Everything I have read says diatom consumes silicates not phosphate. I have not read this entire thread but have you moved rock around stirring up the sand or maybe added sand? What ever introduced the silicates, once it is consumed the diatom will die out.

I pulled out all of my rocks to catch the damsels. They were in a bucket full of the tank water the whole move took about a half hour. Tank has acted a bit strange since.

Yup, when you stirred up the sand you released silicates into the water column. That is where the diatom bloom is coming from I bet. Tank is acting weird because you stirred up all the other nasty stuff in the sand at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom