And the algae begins....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJ_117

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I came home today to notice a slight film of green algae covering my driftwod. This is the first time I've seen green algae in my tank, and I wanna get rid of this crap before it spreads like wildfire.

The lighting in using is a Fugeray Planted+, which is ran for about 12 hours a day. I do have a bunch of plants in the tank and im getting more soon. No co2, but future plans to dose ferts. Should I simply limit the light? I don't want this to turn into an outbreak...

Your photoperiod is too long. Tone it back to 6-8 hours/day. I have the same light and had the same problem.

Thank you, I need to invest in another Walmart timer then (goodbye blue moonlight LEDs) because I'm not home most of the day

Thank you, I need to invest in another Walmart timer then (goodbye blue moonlight LEDs) because I'm not home most of the day

I have the same problem. 60 hours of work a week leaves me a small window of time at home that I'm not sleeping. I run my planted tanks on timers no more than 8 hours a day. They are in 4 hour periods with a 2 hour break in the middle.

Caleb

I have the same problem. 60 hours of work a week leaves me a small window of time at home that I'm not sleeping. I run my planted tanks on timers no more than 8 hours a day. They are in 4 hour periods with a 2 hour break in the middle.

Caleb
Is the break between necessary to all planted tanks? I don't wanna get off topic here I'm just curious.

Ahh I see. Makes sense to me, maybe I'll try that and see if my algae cuts down a bit. Like I said, the algae is barely noticeable rn but I don't want it turning into a huge mess

The break in the photo period helps prevent algae growth because algae requires a longer period of light (forget how many hours) before it really does anything compared to a plant, which continues to grow in the dark as long as CO2 is present.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I came home today to notice a slight film of green algae covering my driftwod. This is the first time I've seen green algae in my tank, and I wanna get rid of this crap before it spreads like wildfire.

The lighting in using is a Fugeray Planted+, which is ran for about 12 hours a day. I do have a bunch of plants in the tank and im getting more soon. No co2, but future plans to dose ferts. Should I simply limit the light? I don't want this to turn into an outbreak...

What size tank? What are your nitrate levels and how often/how much water do you change per week? What sort of filtration do you have? Are you dosing any ferts or liquid carbon (Excel, co2 booster, glut, etc)? Do you have a pic of the algae and of your tank?

Ahh I see. Makes sense to me, maybe I'll try that and see if my algae cuts down a bit. Like I said, the algae is barely noticeable rn but I don't want it turning into a huge mess

Controlling algae with just light takes some time-so give it a couple weeks. I grew a forest of BBA and its taken months to finally recede into a minor population with nothing but light control. Also, I found the bigger the break and shorter the individual time the light is on the less algae.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What size tank? What are your nitrate levels and how often/how much water do you change per week? What sort of filtration do you have? Are you dosing any ferts or liquid carbon (Excel, co2 booster, glut, etc)? Do you have a pic of the algae and of your tank?
29 gallon, I'll test that in a minute, approx 33% weekly, no co2 or ferts (plan on doing ferts in the near future though)

You can see the little green dots forming on my driftwood. It hasn't grown too much yet but I noticed this small amount, which I want to limit before it becomes a mess
uploadfromtaptalk1432331259856.jpg

You can see the little green dots forming on my driftwood. It hasn't grown too much yet but I noticed this small amount, which I want to limit before it becomes a mess
View attachment 272703

IMO algae on driftwood makes it look more natural. I let some green algae grow on mine and it makes it look more rustic and fits in you could say.

Caleb

29 gallon, I'll test that in a minute, approx 33% weekly, no co2 or ferts (plan on doing ferts in the near future though)

As already mentioned I'd immediately cut down light to 5-6 hours a day. I also run a planted+ on a 29g and it is quite a bit of light without a carbon source so I'd look into getting a bottle of Metricide/glutaraldehyde to use as a cheap Excel alternative. The addition of micro/macro ferts will help a lot overall too. You have all the makings for a great tank and once you get it all together and balanced you'll have a lot of possibilities!

As already mentioned I'd immediately cut down light to 5-6 hours a day. I also run a planted+ on a 29g and it is quite a bit of light without a carbon source so I'd look into getting a bottle of Metricide/glutaraldehyde to use as a cheap Excel alternative. The addition of micro/macro ferts will help a lot overall too. You have all the makings for a great tank and once you get it all together and balanced you'll have a lot of possibilities!
Thank you! I'm definitely going to invest in glut + ferts

Back
Top Bottom