Anemone crisis!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How much would the packet cost? 2 powerheads and wave maker?

Thanks. Last problem.. You guys have helped a lot and this has been bugging me for a couple weeks. I'm using a trickle filter with a protein skimmer and they're both doing fine but what I've noticed is that my tank is almost over flowing but the trickle filter keeps running low on water.. Whats wrong?!

That is probably just from the evaporation of water from the tank. It is visible in the sump, not the display tank. Just top off with pure water, preferably RO/DI water.
Just so you know, that trickle filter, if set up with Bio-balls, can become a problem producing nitrates. The Bio-balls trap detritus, which in turn, turns to nitrate. Most people have abandoned the Bio-ball technique. Most have gone to a filter sock/protein skimmer combination in a sump.

Yeah but like my tank is about to over flow I don't think water is moving through it fast enough. I found some powerheads but there is only 2 sizes 500 gph and 1600 gph

Idk, maybe something is partially clogging your drain, or your overflow cant keep up with your pump. You may have to put a ball valve on your water return, so you can adjust the amount of water going back to the tank.
As far as the powerheads, there are many out there. I know Maxi's come in 4 different sized alone. The highest rated at about 280gph, the Maxi-jet 1200. 2 of these would definitely move some water in your tank. I would probably just go with 2 -900's, these push about 235gph. The wavemaker I use is a Natural Wave Timer, It's basically a glorified power strip, and like $35.

What do you think about Hydor Koralia Evolution Powerheads? I could get these but idk what size..

I really can't comment on them, as I've never owned any. The best thing you could do is ask on here, and read reviews on the pumps. Many people do use them, on this site though.
Good luck with the research Juan!:)

Last question! Do I need a wave maker for the power heads or can I run them straight up?

A wavemaker helps the current to be somewhat random, this is more of a concern with corals than anything. It is definitely better to have one, but any flow is better than none.
Best of luck man, (y)

Ive used the evolutions and all i have to say is dont use them on a wavemaker. The starting and stopping causes a malfunction causing the grille to break and the pump to spin in reverse. The fix involves emailing hydor and them sending you new grilles in the mail.

Btw this has happened to every evolution ive owned within 1 month of use. Running constant ive only had one problem when not on a wavemaker.

Btw, it sounds like either you overflow/trickle is clogged or you return is pumping more that is being drawn down. A ball valve on the return line would fix the later problem.

I use two koralia evo 750's on my 55 gallon. I have them running constantly. IMO, the fish create random currents.

scottayy said:
I use two koralia evo 750's on my 55 gallon. I have them running constantly. IMO, the fish create random currents.

Some maybe, but not enough for corals to be happy with it, IMO.

Well I ordered them with out the wave maker because I didn't have enough money but I might invest in that later. Or maybe buy a new kind of filtration set up since the trickle filter isn't that good.

I disagree that a wavemaker is that important. I've used random current devices before and have found no difference in coral health, compared to a few power heads on full time. The koralias or similar will make a random current anyway- just aim them at each other.

2 power heads pointed at each other, constantly on, doesn't sound too random to me. What part is random?
There is a constant ebb and flow to a reef. I have dove a few, and felt it myself. It would drag you back and forth at least 10 feet.
I feel this is a benefit to both corals and fish, in an aquarium.
Just my opinion though.

My tank has assorted power heads all over the place, as were all of the tanks i've kept in the last few years. You can clearly see corals blowing back and forth and not just blowing in one direction. Put your hand about 2 or 3 feet away from your power head. It will not feel like a constant stream of solid water, but a wide group of random pushes.

mr_X said:
My tank has assorted power heads all over the place, as were all of the tanks i've kept in the last few years. You can clearly see corals blowing back and forth and not just blowing in one direction. Put your hand about 2 or 3 feet away from your power head. It will not feel like a constant stream of solid water, but a wide group of random pushes.

This may or not be true, idk. But even if it is, this is still just a difference in intensity, not direction. It is still for the most part creating one unilateral flow pattern in the tank.
This may work in a tank as large as yours, with many pumps. But in the posters tank, 20L I believe, 2 pumps opposing each other will not create much randomness at all. The center of the tank may have some, where they converge, but the ends definitely will not.
Don't get me wrong, anything is better than nothing, in the OP's situation. I just stated that being on a wavemaker would be beneficial to create some randomness to his flow. It doesn't have to be one of the expensive controllables either, just a timer, mine cost me like $ 35.

Well, you will know in 5 minutes if you put your hand in front of your power head like I told you to.
I've had more than one tank, and I've used different combinations in each, and I'm telling you that you don't need a wave maker to keep a successful reef.
Saying something is definitely not going to work without trying it or having any data to support it is a definitely not a good practice.

mr_X said:
Well, you will know in 5 minutes if you put your hand in front of your power head like I told you to.
I've had more than one tank, and I've used different combinations in each, and I'm telling you that you don't need a wave maker to keep a successful reef.
Saying something is definitely not going to work without trying it or having any data to support it is a definitely not a good practice.

Can you have a successful reef without a wavemaker? Absolutely.

Are wavemakers beneficial? Absolutely.

A tank with a wavemaker will generally have very few if any dead spots given the proper powerheads. This means better nutrient control, by keeping as much suspended as possible, along with random currents. Again not needed by any means, but beneficial.

Ive run many tanks with and without them. I find it more enjoyable to view a wavemaker tank also. Things blowing in the same way and same direction constantly gets old.

Definitely not needed for a successful tank though.

Back
Top Bottom