Anemone moving a lot.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Why do they move so much? It stayed in one spot for months then went MIA and then went somewhere else and now back almost where it started. It's a purple tipped anemone? And why do the clown fish just lay in there. It scared me. Thought they were dead!!

View attachment 87280

Last edited:
TigerBarbs said:
Anemones are weird sometimes lol. It looks like a sebae anemone to me.

It's a google picture but it looks JUST like it. I know your suppose to wait for the tank to be established for months. But whatever. My tank has been up since January. And I fell in love with it. And the price was right. Now I want a bubble coral? I think that's what you call it. It looks like a anemone but it doesn't move.

I got an anemone to lol and my tanks 3 1/2 months. Don't worry I fell in love to :D. All I know about bubble corals is they are really fragile.

I have a bubble coral. They are fragile, but it is easy to just move them from their base. I have hermits crawl over it once and awhile and there aren't any issues.

Sniperhank said:
I have a bubble coral. They are fragile, but it is easy to just move them from their base. I have hermits crawl over it once and awhile and there aren't any issues.

Where would be the best place for it? Here's a FTS, I was thinking on the right above the red mushrooms.

View attachment 87332

View attachment 87333

Sorry the water is a little cloudy from the wc. An the lights aren't at it's brightest yet, they ramp up starting at 7am.

Last edited:
Long as you acclimate it to the light, that should be a nice spot for it. They like intense lighting, which is what is holding mine back. It is doing well under 4 t5ho, but will do better under my leds.

Sniperhank said:
Long as you acclimate it to the light, that should be a nice spot for it. They like intense lighting, which is what is holding mine back. It is doing well under 4 t5ho, but will do better under my leds.

Oh man!! I may go get it today then!! :)

Is a hour slow drip acclimation good enough. I once did a 3 hour drip to all my CUC and was told it was way too long. I isn't know, was just starting out so I didn't know any better.

Took Better pics, I turned the lights up for a minute.

View attachment 87341

View attachment 87342

Last edited:
An hour should be ok. When I got mine, I floated the bag in the DT for 30 min then opened it up and added small amounts of water as it floated around every 10 minutes, so 6 doses in an hour. Removed half the water and did this again for an hour. So 3 hours isn't that bad in reality...

Sniperhank said:
An hour should be ok. When I got mine, I floated the bag in the DT for 30 min then opened it up and added small amounts of water as it floated around every 10 minutes, so 6 doses in an hour. Removed half the water and did this again for an hour. So 3 hours isn't that bad in reality...

Ok cool! Thanks!! I'm gonna call the LFS and make sure it's still there and also see if there open.

Convict2161 said:
Oh man!! I may go get it today then!! :)

Is a hour slow drip acclimation good enough. I once did a 3 hour drip to all my CUC and was told it was way too long. I isn't know, was just starting out so I didn't know any better.

Took Better pics, I turned the lights up for a minute.

Three things: Drip acclimation has nothing to do with light acclimation. Light acclimation is starting a coral in lower light i.e the sandbed and gradually moving it up to a higher more intensely lit position.

Second, corals don't need to be drip acclimated like other livestock, maybe a 15 minute float if the corals were in a bag for an hour or more, but dripping isn't necessary. You may want to do a coral dip into something like CoralRX to kill nasties.

Third: one warning I will give from personal experience is that bubble corals are very sensitive to water conditions and too much flow. Anytime my water was off, the bubble wouldn't look good. Then unfortunately, I messed up when installing an MP10 and cranked the flow too high and I damaged the coral badly. It is in recovery, but looks terrible.

Here is a pic of mine before:

I agree with above, but I would still drip acclimate. I have continued to do more and more reading as I have had corals up and die on me 24 hours after purchase. The more I read, the more I have found statements discussing drip acclimation and the benefits. It isn't necessary, as I have thrown corals in once they floated in the bag for awhile and they have been fine. Just now that I have experienced problems, I am working towards helping them stay happy and healthy as much as I can.

TLTGF said:
Three things: Drip acclimation has nothing to do with light acclimation. Light acclimation is starting a coral in lower light i.e the sandbed and gradually moving it up to a higher more intensely lit position.

Second, corals don't need to be drip acclimated like other livestock, maybe a 15 minute float if the corals were in a bag for an hour or more, but dripping isn't necessary. You may want to do a coral dip into something like CoralRX to kill nasties.

Third: one warning I will give from personal experience is that bubble corals are very sensitive to water conditions and too much flow. Anytime my water was off, the bubble wouldn't look good. Then unfortunately, I messed up when installing an MP10 and cranked the flow too high and I damaged the coral badly. It is in recovery, but looks terrible.

Here is a pic of mine before:

Thanks for the tips brother. Your looks really nice!! Man I want one soooo bad. There open. I'll give it a shot.

I have never EVER drip acclimated a coral. The only corals I acclimate are SPS. When I say acclimate, I actually mean take them out of all water and leave them on the side for 10 minutes before putting them into my DT.

I've not lost a coral yet, other than a sun coral that just became too much of a chore to feed and a candy cane that got stung into next week by a bubble coral. Both were nothing to do with not acclimating.

Sniperhank said:
I agree with above, but I would still drip acclimate. I have continued to do more and more reading as I have had corals up and die on me 24 hours after purchase. The more I read, the more I have found statements discussing drip acclimation and the benefits. It isn't necessary, as I have thrown corals in once they floated in the bag for awhile and they have been fine. Just now that I have experienced problems, I am working towards helping them stay happy and healthy as much as I can.

Quite true, it certainly can't hurt!

Question.

It's a the LFS and in a tank that has 4 AI SOL BLUE LED units. I have 1 in my BC 29. Should I still light acclimate it? And is $49.99 a good price? It's a nice size. I'd say a baseball size and is really really full at least in his tank. It looks like its gonna pop!

Mine is about 6" fully opened and I paid $40. I would still make sure to acclimate, especially since you are lighting a coral 6" under the light compared with 12-18 in the LFS tank.

TLTGF said:
Mine is about 6" fully opened and I paid $40. I would still make sure to acclimate, especially since you are lighting a coral 6" under the light compared with 12-18 in the LFS tank.

Ok will do. The fixture has a acclimation setting I believe I'll just set it to that.

I've never drip acclimated a coral either. I just float the bag for 20 minutes and then add it to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom