Anemone Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liquidreamer

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 Florida Condis and 1 small Pink Tip Haitian. Water params are a steady 5 day readout:

Amm 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrites .5 (been going down with the addition of macros in refuge)
Temp 78.5-80
Calc 400+

I ordered them all 6 days ago from saltwaterfish. I acclimated them properly and all was good. Thing is - they seem to look to voluntarily move to behind and/or under rocks where there is hardly any if at all light hitting them. I even moved one that wasnt anchored to anything (in the sand) to a rock in clear view of the lights... he seemed to love it at first and then two days later was back in a dark crack but extended. They expand fully off and on throught the day and night but they like to shrivel (not dead shrivel, just kinda close up) all the time - even with lights on. Is this common? My lights are on a 12 hour cycle and I have 4x54w T5s... ALL of my inverts are doing fine - Coral Banded Shrimp, Peppermint, and Camelback. All hermits and snails doing fine as well. 2xclowns are also fine.

Well, when I came home today - I had one of the Condi Anemones fully open and healthy looking except for a few tentacles look damaged and his foot looks semi damaged/torn. He also looks a little less in control of his motion or limpish looking and a little more clearer than normal. The other Condi is behind the rock and the Haitian is closed but looks okay as usual (again, the off and on with closing). I am going take some pics and try to get a good shot of the foot. Are these actions normal of them?

They will expand and contract throughout the day. At night my bta actually fully extends and lays on the ground. They will move all around until they find the perfect conditions for each individual not what the species "usually" likes. They also take a couple of weeks to acclimate to the lighting in your tank. The stores and shipments don't have proper lighting and it takes a few weeks to get used to yours.

Thanks for that reply.... kinda calmed me down a bit :| Now, on to this foot problem of this one condi... I have attached a few pics (and one of my clowns, now that I've gotten a replacement for the one that died :( Any have any advice on his foot? If you'll notice the dark red/orange (the top of the pic) is his foot normal colored... now I know the very bottom IS a lighter colored orange, but this looks more on the side of his foot... it also has some white puffy areas I think you can see in the pics. Youll also notice that the tentacles near that area are deflated and seem to twist and overlap like that is damaged area or something. Thanks all :)

Attachments

• dsc00160.jpg
    dsc00160.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 86
  • dsc00162.jpg
    dsc00162.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 70
  • dsc00170.jpg
    dsc00170.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 109
Even if it's torn you're pretty much going to have to wait and see if it heals on it's own or if it dies. I don't know if condys split or not but if it were a bta I would say it might be splitting.

ohh no... just as I say that and run down stairs to reinspect the situation... I see a hairy looking rock crab?? with red/purplish claws... he looked the size of a quarter and is hanging out right around the back underside of a rock (if he was more in the open, I would try to catch him now) I have caught around 3 of these already with my hands hitchhiking in my lr... but smaller. The only reason I have been taking them out is because I saw one with a hermitcrab trying to eat it. This is definitely the largest I have seen though... do you think he may have done it? What about the coral banded shrimp? (hes large) This guy is a little more smart than the other crabs... he runs quick. He ran as soon as I neared the tank - the others were slow. The also looked MUCH bigger in the tank then when I got them out though... so this one may not be that big - but definitely the largest yet. His claws are more prominately larger.

The coral banded will not bother them. That crabs probably gotta go. Do you have a fuge cause he would be a good candidate for a fuge.

Yeah - thats where I dumped the other two... one had sacs of red eggs all over the abdomen too :) That's what I'll do then.... I am doing a 15% water change in about 2 hours... I will set the trap after that! Thanks Electri... after all, we ARE neighbors :lol:

Back
Top Bottom