Anemone Transport Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brynn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright, so my sister and I were on the beach today and found a stranded anemone. Now, the surf was incredibly strong as well as there being rip tides, so there was no way to return the critter to the ocean. We decided to take it home, as there was no chance it would survive on the beach with the tide going out and such a strong surf.

My question is, is there any way we could transport it back to MA? We were planning on trying to take it on the airplane with us, in our checked luggage in a sealed container filled with some seawater. If there isn't, we're going to humanely put it to sleep quickly and painlessly. We're in FL.

Let me reiterate that there was absolutely no chance it could make it back to a living environment - it had obviously been torn by the waves from whatever rock it lived on further out in the ocean.

If the foot was torn off there may be damage to the base which drastically reduces its chances for survival. May want to grab your self a real small heat pack thats just enough to keep the water somewhat constant on the trip. A card board box lined with styrofoam which you can pick up at a hardware store will help too. About all the help i can offer though

Thank you so much! It's actually attached to a strange piece of what we think might be kelp or something... It's rubbery, but some of it broke off when we transferred him to the tupperware container he's in now.

Would putting him in the middle of my checked luggage help? We know AA (the airline we're flying on) has pressurized holds, so they're probably at least minimally heated. We were planning on putting him in the middle of all of my clothes, so I think he'll be well insulated for the trip. I'll see if we can stop by a grocery store or something and find a heat pack - if not we'll just have to wing it.

Depending on where you are and what anemone species, I would just take it back to the beach, find a rock outcropping (man-made if you will), and place it under water in a crevice. My guess is this is some type of intertidal rock anemone...

If you really want an anemone for your own tank they can be purchased anywhere from $20.-$50.

IF you really must have this anemone: purchase a styrofoam container and place it in a box, line it with a bag or two, bag the anemone, and ship it overnight to your destination so you can meet it there.

I would have done that, but the entirety of the beach for miles in either direction was pure white sand - not a rock outcropping in sight.

I don't know if we can mail it either, as neither of us has money. I think we're going to get a heat pack and try to get it home on the airplane. Thanks!

Good luck! Only thing I have to add is to not pack the anemone covered in water. Use as little as possible to keep it alive (usually just enough to keep the foot moist, a few tablespoons). This prevents it from releasing any waste which would otherwise foul the water and kill it.

Anemones can be rather resilient creatures, so I hope it makes it for you. I would think overnight shipping would be better too, but understand your situation.

Best of luck. :)

Isn't there something with homeland security about no more than 3 oz of water? That might cause some problems with them.

Back
Top Bottom