Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hollyfamily21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My husband purchased a sea anemone for my 28 gallon aqua pod. I have a peppermint shrimp that is eating on it. We read some where that it's mutually beneficial. Should we get rid of the shrimp or take back the anemone. It's a whitish purple green long tenticals and a bright orange base. My tank is 3 months old.

Take back the nem. Your tank is too young for it to thrive, wait until it is around 8 months old. The nem will probably eat the shrimp...

Looks like a condy nem, I kinda wanted one but based on advice from ppl here i chose not to get one... They aparently get very big and are quite
Hardy. To be honest i would take a shrimp over that. Get a tube anemone. They are awesome

Well the shrimp stopped eating the anemone. He is looking better. But now I need to know placement and are those bad for goby watchman because I can't find him.

I put a Condy in my tank at three months and it's doing great. Just because it's not reccommended doesn't mean it can't be done. I think it depends on how well you take care of the tank, monitor parameters in the beginning , how well your tank is setup, do you have a skimmer are you using RO/DI , do you have enough good live rock, enough flow, enough light. Chances are new people will not have all of that together in 3months. I didn't, I wasn't using RO/DI, and I didn't have enough flow. But I learned and fixed my issues quickly.

I'd say most local fish stores tanks are probably equivalent to a 3 month old tank. Because while they may have good parameters, they have little to not much bio diversity in the tank, like maybe one piece of rock, not much flow, three nems in the same 20g tank freshly shipped from the other side of the world.

I feel like your Condy will be fine if you half way care about it. Its usually the first thing people notice or ask about in my tank, and it's was one of the cheaper items Ive got.

View attachment 98361

View attachment 98362

The first pic is the nem eating a shrimp molt, I thought it was eating my shrimp when I first saw it, but just a molt, it spit it back out a couple hours later.

The 2nd pic is a full tank shot, the nem is in the middle pretty much.

View attachment 98366

3rd pic is soon after I bought the anemone, I had a domino damsel that loved to play in it. I really liked the damsels I just didnt like how aggressive they are, and I couldn't add anymore fish really, because the dominos were mean.

I do like the dominos they are a cool looking fish. They can be a wee bit nasty though and that's why I decided not to get them.

Damsels are a shoal fish and work on a heirachy (bad spelling) so if you have a group they are less likely to bully other species and keep the bullying between the damsels

Back
Top Bottom