Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm curious exactly what kind of anemone this is .
And wondering how big it will get ?
I've gad it for awhile , few months .
She has been sitting up in this exact place for a few months , is her size a good sign that she is loving and thriving ?

image-3586917844.jpg

Attachments

• image-791715894.jpg
    image-791715894.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 166
I'm not exactly sure what kind of anemone that is of the top of my head though if it hasn't moved in months, and it is routinely that relaxed it is a pretty good sign that it is fairly happy. It is a little odd that it has perched so high in the tank. There is only one carpet anemone that I know of that routinely does that. This could be a sign that your lights are underpowered.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of anemone that is of the top of my head though if it hasn't moved in months, and it is routinely that relaxed it is a pretty good sign that it is fairly happy. It is a little odd that it has perched so high in the tank. There is only one carpet anemone that I know of that routinely does that. This could be a sign that your lights are underpowered.

I have t5 HO
6 bulbs .
3 white and 3 blue .
And moon lights are 2 of the 6 blue lights .
They might be due for changing but they work so figured to use them .
It's huge !!
Right now as I speak its about 12-16 inches across
I feed it twice a week .
A combination or 2 small scallops and 1 shrimp cut into 1/2" pieces

I have t5 HO
6 bulbs .
3 white and 3 blue .
And moon lights are 2 of the 6 blue lights .
They might be due for changing but they work so figured to use them .
It's huge !!
Right now as I speak its about 12-16 inches across
I feed it twice a week .
A combination or 2 small scallops and 1 shrimp cut into 1/2" pieces

With T5s, you need to change your bulbs out at least every 12 months. Although they quite likely will still light, they dim over time and will also have a color shift as well. Also, anemones will sometimes blow themselves up with water in order to maximize their surface area and therefore the amount of light they're collecting, so size does not always equate with growth or health necessarily.

With T5s, you need to change your bulbs out at least every 12 months. Although they quite likely will still light, they dim over time and will also have a color shift as well. Also, anemones will sometimes blow themselves up with water in order to maximize their surface area and therefore the amount of light they're collecting, so size does not always equate with growth or health necessarily.

Even at the top where she is its still about 10" from the oral disk to the lights . I'll send another picture and maybe I will need a few new bulbs .

Lights above tank

image-2111274888.jpg

Lig

It is really impossible to see when the bulbs need to be changed. Unless you happen to look at one when it is off, and it has darkened ends.

The actinic bulbs really shouldn't be used for night lights. They don't look bright to your eye, but they are still stimulating to the photosynthetic organisms. They need a night period where they can rest and respirate. The blue light is the wavelengths that penetrate the water deeper and more easily.

The anemone doesn't really have the look of one that is straining to find more light. For lack of a better term it looks relaxed. I would say you should change your bulbs if they are over a year old (some say 6-9 months), and look into some low power blue LEDs if you want a night light rather than using your actinics. Running the actinic bulbs at night will actually cut their lifespan in half or shorter.

Two questions. What color is the foot? And does the oral disk have stripes radiating out from the mouth?

Two questions. What color is the foot? And does the oral disk have stripes radiating out from the mouth?

The foot is the same color as the disc . A light pink , yes it does have stripes going from the mouth outward ,
What dies this indicate ?

That I am even more unsure of what kind of anemone it is than ever. The oral disk looks rather like a long tentacle, but the almost always have a strongly orange to red colored foot. This is also pretty unusual basking behavior for a long tentacle. They generally prefer to be further down, and have their foot buried.

If your bulbs are old, and they are weak and colorshifted then the strange basking could be a result of that, but it would not explain the pale foot. Even when bleached LTAs keep their bright foot color.

Anemone this morning ,
His foot is the same color as the bottom or under side of the oral disk .

image-3715558759.jpg

Attachments

• image-2664455229.jpg
    image-2664455229.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 86
  • image-4043879439.jpg
    image-4043879439.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 90
Anemone this morning ,
His foot is the same color as the bottom or under side of the oral disk .

I don't leave any lights on over night ,
Complete darkness for 8 hours

I don't leave any lights on over night ,
Complete darkness for 8 hours

Ok. You mentioned "moonlights", and there are a lot of people who have the mistake idea that they can leave actinic lights on at night as a night light.

I is perfectly normal for a LTA to be that big. Other than the light color it looks quite happy, but it us possible that you just happen to have a light colored individual.

Ok. You mentioned "moonlights", and there are a lot of people who have the mistake idea that they can leave actinic lights on at night as a night light.

I is perfectly normal for a LTA to be that big. Other than the light color it looks quite happy, but it us possible that you just happen to have a light colored individual.

When I bought this one there was 3 more in the same tank a the LFS all the same color .
And they all had about 3 dozen clown fish in each .
I wanted a anemone that would and clown fish that would host that's why I bought that one .

The mini carpet and condylactis are the only true anemones the I know of in regular aquarium culture that will not host clownfish, and the condy will sometimes go against nature and host anyway.

Anyone know how anemones reproduce if there is only 1 in the tank ?

Will they just split in half ?

Yes, if the right conditions trigger the response the anemone will split itself in two. Most often it is a survival response to unfavorable conditions. The anemone will split, sometimes more than once apparently in an attempt to let one of the clones find better conditions. Doesn't really help in an aquarium, but they don't have a brain so they don't know that.

The other time seems to be when conditions are great, and the anemone has reached its optimal size. It will split so that it can keep growing. I have never had one split on me, but as I understand it the mouth will split first, and once there are two mouths it will pull itself apart.

Back
Top Bottom