Angel behavior question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have pretty much accepted that my angels are never going to spawn :( I have another dilema though.
Every time I pwc, the aggression between them is incredible for about a day-day and a half. For the next 5-6 days until another pwc, they get along great and actually exhibit a number of spawning like behaviors. I'm worried that the day or two of aggression is going to result in one of them ending up dead, cause it gets pretty nasty in there.
What do I do? I thought I could get a tank divider and use it for the day or two that's a problem. But then will they just fight the day after the divider is removed? And, I really don't want a divider in my tank at all...

This is based on theory only. It would seem that they have yet to acknowledge that they are the same sex or one of them "knows" the other is of the opposite sex. A PWC is usually enough to get the (for lack of a better term) spawning mood on. One of them is getting frustrated that they aren't getting to the end result.

A tank divider as you say is not a cure all and does look ghastly (unless you are a breeder). I guess it's actually time to decide whether to split them up permanently.

:( I knew that was the answer when I posted. Fortunately, I have a good home for them to go to. When I split up the original four, the two that went were taken to my lfs where they went on to be displayed in a showtank. Maybe I'm only meant to get angels ready for fame and fortune! :)
Thanx for your help through this whole mess Jchillin. Much appreciated!
The question now will be: Give up both and start over, keep one, or pick a new centerpiece fish???

As an Angel lover, I can be a bit biased with this answer. Yes, start over. One of the things I've come to accept is that cichlids are intriguing and Angels especially so. They are simply the most graceful of them all. If you have the time and patience, they can really be the best show piece fish for the $$$.

Back
Top Bottom