Angel breeding and feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skyrmir

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering if anyone here had any angels that raise their own fry? I've separated the eggs a few times myself and raised out a few batches. Once when I just left the eggs alone, they made it to free swimming stage and the parents seemed to be taking care of them...until they became a late night snack.

Since then I haven't had as much luck. They've gotten to wiggler stage a few times, but usually right around the time they get to free swimming, the parents eat them up. More recently, they haven't even been making it to wiggler stage before they become caviar.

I read on a few boards that were walking about African cichlids, that it was best not to feed them for a while after laying eggs since that triggers feeding mode. However that was African cichlids and not Angels. Has anyone else tried not feeding for a while after eggs are laid, and if so, when do you start again?

I have a pair that recently raised 68 fry on their 2nd attempt.

I did not change their feeding schedule at all.
I kept the pair in an unlit tank and tried to disturb them as little as possible. I think part of the reason they eat the fry is that they feel threatened

I f the parent feel the fry are threatened they will eat them their selves rather than allow rather than allow others to get them.

If they feel secure I think the odds of survival increase

Back
Top Bottom