Angel breeding tube?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BBS wirks great for me. Have you tried decapsulated brine shrimp eggs?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

BBS suck I tried lot of times, best advice go Microsoft easy to cultivate and millions of worms per feed and they live couple days and wriggle so they lure the fry

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

With all due respect, if you are having problems hatching out brine shrimp, it's something YOU are doing wrong. Possibly we can help you figure out what in another thread.(y)

Newly hatched brine shrimp has been documented to be the #1 best food to feed Angelfish fry for maximum growth and health. They have even been proven to be better than decap brine shrimp despite the claims by the manufacturers. ( They are the #2 best food tho. ;) )
With some of today's varieties of Angels and some new or young spawners, the fry seem to be too small for newly hatched shrimp which is why another micro food is necessary for first growth. To date, I have never needed to use anything but newly hatched brine shrimp on my Angel fry. Then again, I also don't try to retain any spawns from my younger fish for just that reason. I'll culture micro foods for Tetras, Barbs and Danios, etc, but for Angels, I'd rather spawn them when the eggs are larger and the fry easier to care for. (y)
At this point, it's just a hunch the OP's fry were too small. Something else could also have been the issue. :whistle:

BBS wirks great for me. Have you tried decapsulated brine shrimp eggs?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No I haven't. Are they smaller?
My BBS shrimp are thriving and I dont find it too much of a pain hatching them. The only reason I am looking at any other food source is the possibilty that my last batch of fry all perished due to starvation. Possibly because the BBS were to large for them to eat in their first couple of days.

I will figure this out(y).

**** autocorrect strikes again:)

Assuming you meant microworms?
I am looking into getting a culture (joining local aquarium society next week).
But I have to admit, I am a bit squeemish about the whole worm thing. I will put my heeby geebies aside if it means one more possible option to keep the little buggers alive.

I do have a batch of very new free swimmers right now that I added a small quantity of ricci moss and a small bit of a java fern to their tank. I cannot tell if they are feeding off of it yet but they do seem to be congregating among the moss most of the time.
Aslo they are pretty easy going cost less to maintain comparing to BBS and they are smaller, I had same problem with my beta frys and BBS Had to swap to MW

Omg it has been far too long since I updated this..my apologies to anyone that was following.

I must admit that I had given up a little on this project as I was getting a little frustrated with losing the fry every batch. I thought I was just going to give the fish a break and let them grow and mature some more and try at a later time, so I seperated them.
Unfortunately I lost the female when she became extremely swollen ( I believe she became egg bound) she was still eating and pooping but just would not release those eggs. Even tried reintroducing the male in the earlier stages, they would clean the tile but no eggs.

So, with some apprehesion (rearranging tanks) I added my other female (the one that was injured previously) to the male and within 3 days I had eggs again.

To date I still have probably 100-125 swimming angels that have already started coloring up and have finnage from this batch.

It's hard to say whether it was just the different female or something else that made the difference, but this batch was a huge success. I would guess less than 25 deaths once they became free swimming.:dance:

I did do a couple of things differently
1-I left the methylene blue in the hatching container right up until the moment I switched them into the 2.5gallon tank. (12-24hrs after free swimming).

2-big ball of java moss in the 2.5g tank. The ricci moss that I had before seems to stay more compact and just floats in a tight mass, where the java moss seperates and I noticed the fry swimming amongst the moss picking at it.

3-I aquired a culture of microworms. I fed microworms at every feeding 3-4 times a day. I would add a small amount of BBS to 2 of those feedings. I did this for the first three or four days until I knew I could see the orange full bellies. I then did BBS at every feeding with less microworms. Recently I started adding NorthFin Krill fry starter to the feedings and even some finely ground flake food.

I do have a few that are noticeably smaller than the rest but I will give them a couple weeks to grow then star seperating based on size and cull if needed.

Hopefully things continue to progess as well as they have in the last few weeks.

Just wanted to thank all that posted advice and helped along the way. This site and the people on it are a wealth of knowldege and although I have slacked on posting I have been keeping up on reading and following everyones progress.:popcorn::popcorn:

Thanks
Mike

Back
Top Bottom