angel fish acting odd? HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

causin trouble

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 150 gallon /live plant aquarium..Co2 twin Magnum 350 filters 1 charcoal one paper filter also a uv sterilizer.

4 months ago my employee dumped the remainder of a gallon of bleach in my filter bucket and I was un-aware of this making my mixture higher than 20% when I replaced my filters after cleaning them (obviously not enough)I proceeded to kill the whole tank 5"angel fish 8"clown loaches etc the tank was up for 4 years no problems until this.. very upset...

I have since balanced my tank and have now got a couple more angels this time about 3-4 " size 3 months everything looks good.. except today I noticed my largest angel at times points his nose upward and looks as if he looses control of his swimming then 3 seconds later hes ok..
has anyone ever seen this type of behavior if so can you give me a analysis..I WOULD HATE TO LOOSE ANOTHER ANGEL

Attachments

• mvc-001s_410.jpg
    mvc-001s_410.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 81
Angelfish always act funny. Keep an eye on him though. Ive had mine for about 2 years now and they would always act strange while swimming.

4 months ago my employee dumped the remainder of a gallon of bleach in my filter bucket and I was un-aware of this making my mixture higher than 20% when I replaced my filters after cleaning them (obviously not enough)
Not quite sure I understand this? Please clarify...
Bleach in filter bucket, why? 20% mixture of what (bleach/water?) for what? Used for cleaning? Obviously not enough?, sounds like too as 0% is too much when it comes to bleach.
Anyways I digress, I guess.

Continue to observe Angel, is he in filter ouflow and just playing?
Is he swollen or bloated? Eating normally? Just a knucklehead screwing around?

doing what the instructions say..

Well I know now not to use bleach in cleaning my paper magnum filters.
The instructions enclosed in the box read to use a 10% mixture of bleach and 90% water let filters clean overnight and rinse thoroughly.. I did that for 3 years no problems until the unknown addition.I just replace the filters now... :( :(

unfortunately today the angel I was asking about died....my water readings are very good nitrates are between 0 and 5 my phosphate PO4 reading is 0

Wow, I think that's a wee bit low for nitrate. What are the ammonia and nitrite levels?

I think that's a wee bit low for nitrate.
Unless the low NO3 is indicative a of a damaged cycle there is nothing normally wrong with NO3 readings of 0-40ppm, some folks try hard to keep at 10ppm or lower.

Sorry to hear you lost the fish :cry:
What are your NH3 and NO2 levels?
unfortunately today the angel I was asking about died....my water readings are very good nitrates are between 0 and 5 my phosphate PO4 reading is 0
Sorry to hear you lost the fish :cry:
What are your NH3 and NO2 levels?
The instructions enclosed in the box read to use a 10% mixture of bleach and 90% water let filters clean overnight and rinse thoroughly.. I did that for 3 years no problems until the unknown addition.I just replace the filters now...
Really, the instructions say that 8O , wowzers!
I wouldn't use or recommend the use of bleach unless it was a last resort, but I could understand following a manufactures cleaning instructions.
It sucks bigtime that after three years and one case of negligence that you had problems and a death :evil:
Yeah, if I was you I'd rinse filter material or replace it evn if it had worked as instructed for three years.

Just bad luck/negligence... That sucks.
Well, all your test results are ideal, may you have another three years without problems (y) .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom