Angel Fish Compatbility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolffish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29 gallon fish tank that i am cycleing right now and i was planning to move all of my fish from my 10 gallon to my 29 gallon and add more of the same kind. And i have changed my mind yet again. I have decided to keep all of my fish in my 10 gallon in their. I want to have angel fish in my 29 gallon and i was wondering if i could have another type of community fish in their. I was thinking about zebra daino? Will they do well together? What about cory cats? If not what are some other kinds on community fish that would be compatable?

yes those could work.Only thing I would be worried about is that the angelfish might eat the tetras or danios.

No i plan on keeping my neons, black neon tetra, white clouds, betta and new pleco in the 10 gallon. I want to get new fish for my 29 gallon. I was considering getting angel fish, diamond tetra, zebra daino, and cory cats. And if cory cats dont work out i want to know if angel fish are alright with plecos.

I think the danios would be fast enough to get away from the Angelfish. You could do a pair in a 29g. I have one large male koi angel in my 30g long with neons and diamond tetras. The angel did eat a lot of fancy guppies so just watch. If you want two angels, buy them small and add them to the tank at the same time and let them grow out together.

i would just do the 2 angels cories and some guppies.... angels love guppies.

I think i will get 4 angels, 6 diamond tetras, 6 zebra dainos, and 5 cories. Do you think that is an alright amount for my tank?
And yeah my danios are so fast its like a blur in my tank. My cat had fun watching them from my bed and she even tried to get into the tank. It was so funny watching the expresion on my cats face when she relized the tank was filled with water. LMAO

4 angels is too much IMO. Stick with 2 and choose between the tetra and danios. JMO.

Ok ill get two angels but why not tetras and dainos?

Because both tetra and danios prefer to be in larger groupings. You won't have the space to do good groups of both. The fish are much better off in one group of 8 versus 2 groups of 4 IME.

I already have 6 diamonds and 7 zebra dainos. What if i get 1 pleco(insted of a group of cory cats) and 2 angel fish will that be okay?

Depends on the type of pleco a clown, or bristlenose would be fine but not a common pleco. You won't see a pleco much I know it is a real treat when I see mine I go a couple of weeks without seeing them and then I will get a glance at them.

I have a 29 gallon tank I had 2 angels in I ended up separating after about 18 month because they kept fighting so much doing phyiscal damage to each other.

I guess i will get a clown they are cheap in the stores near me.
And the store also carrys angels of the same age.

thought id use this thread instead of making a new one. but why wont angelfish get along with a common pleco. or in other words what would happen. does the angel mess with the pleco or the other way around. i really want angels but i think the plecos might be more important in my tank

wellfor now i have three angel fish,6 cardinal tetras, 6 harlequin rasboras,a albino bushynose pleco,3albino cories and4otos,in a 29 and they are doing great.all live plants oh and a pair of appistos{orange flash}!!!!

well after i finally got the tank settled and every thing i finally have 3 angel fish, 6 diamond tetras, 4 cory cats, and one 3 inch sun catfish which was a mistake. Long story short about the sun catfish, my dad went to the store, saw it thought it would look nice in my tank and brought it home. 1 week later and it ate all of my 7 dainos. We are trying to get a new tank for it before it decides my cory cays taste good. This is all in a 29 gallon with live plants and so far so good(besides the daino situation of course). My 3 angels also just recoved from a long battle with fin rot. They looked really bad in the store so i decided to rescue them. One of them has made a great recovery, my white neon one has just about grown all of her\his fins back. and the last one just recoved from it 2 weeks ago and has only half of her\his fins back.

Trust me when i say my cat fish ate the danios i mean the cat fish swollowed the danios whole. Nothing was left. Those danios were fast as heck and the cat fish still caught up to them. The neons are even smaller than the danios and by my calculations its would just be a snack for the cat fish.

The angelfish wont even bother the cory.. It also goes very well with a gold gourami that i got. About the Tetra the angelfish will be fine with big tetras like the black skirt tetra for example which gets 6cm.. Dont try guppies or neon for sure.. they are snacks :)

The problem with a common pleco is not a question of compatibility it will simply outgrow the 29 gallon tank in no time flat. They get enormous! One bristlenose or other dwarf pleco would be ok but they also produce a lot of waste ...I personally would go with some ottocinclus they stay very tiny and are algae eating machines, so cute and fun to watch. I would get 3-4 cory cats for the bottom as well and two angels but no more than that in a 29 gallon. Even two may eventually turn on each other when they get to be 8-9 months old, so be prepared for that.
If you are going to include a school of anything I would choose cardinal tetras because they are a bit bigger and if you get the angels small and the cardinals big they can coexist. I had angels and discus whos bodies were all 5 inches across live happily with cardinal tetras cherry barbs and lemon tetras...the trick being that I got the tetras and barbs first and when they were full grown introduced baby angelfish and eventually discus. I would say go check out the lfs and watch for a while and see which fish always draws you to them. :)
Good luck!

I'm actually thinking about getting Zebra Danios as well for my tank. Currently I have 2 Large Angelfish and 2 Pleco's, one common and one Bristlenose. There are reports of people experiencing the Common Pleco "sucking" on the side of the angels if not enough food is present for them. I've never experienced this but it could sure happen.

I was originally thinking about getting neons or cardinals but I read that they frequently become snacks for the Angels and because they apparently rest on the bottom during the night, the frequently become midnight snacks for the pleco's. Since tetras were pretty much out of the question, I looked up the Zebra Danio and I think I will be going with that choice.

Good luck with your choices!

Back
Top Bottom