Angel tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corn_pea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two angelfish currently living in a 30 gallon by themselves. They’ve been breeding for about 6 months now and USED to live with mollies and kuhlis until they started chasing them off. There’s another group of angels (3) in a 20 gallon that I’m about to rescue… the thing is I need to put my pair and the rescue trio all in a 55 gallon together. I do believe all of the trios are females and are all the same size as my pair. No fish are currently living in the 55 and I’m planning on putting all 5 angels in there at the same time so they don’t establish territory. Would this be ok or would they fight/kill each other?

Only way to know is to try.

My experience is that if one of the females decides to make moves on the male, it will result in one of them killing the other eventually.

I wouldnt put 5 angelfish in a 55 gallon tank, but it may work out fine. Why cant you leave the pair in the 30 and put the new trio in the 55?

Only way to know is to try.

My experience is that if one of the females decides to make moves on the male, it will result in one of them killing the other eventually.

I wouldnt put 5 angelfish in a 55 gallon tank, but it may work out fine. Why cant you leave the pair in the 30 and put the new trio in the 55?

I will eventually upgrade to a bigger tank for them as none of them are fully grown yet (maybe 2.5-3 inches). I can’t keep them in the 30 gal because they’re also not mine technically they’re a class pet so I am adopting them as well (the 30 gal belongs to the class).

I have two angelfish currently living in a 30 gallon by themselves. They’ve been breeding for about 6 months now and USED to live with mollies and kuhlis until they started chasing them off. There’s another group of angels (3) in a 20 gallon that I’m about to rescue… the thing is I need to put my pair and the rescue trio all in a 55 gallon together. I do believe all of the trios are females and are all the same size as my pair. No fish are currently living in the 55 and I’m planning on putting all 5 angels in there at the same time so they don’t establish territory. Would this be ok or would they fight/kill each other?

I agree with Aiken that it's better to not mix the pair with other fish.
Angels have a bad habit of not being angelic when it comes to breeding.
As for establishing territories, that only works when there is no breeding involved. A breeding pair will establish a large area in a tank but more often then not, will chase and possibly kill any other fish that comes close to a spawning area while the pair is spawning or guarding a spawn.

That all said, if you are sure the other 3 fish are females, there is also the possibility that a breeding trio may form. I've had that happen where the 2 females spawn at the same time with the male and I've had it where the females spawn separately with the male. The second scenario usually doesn't result in good hatch rates tho if the spawnings are too close in time to each other. :( The bottom line is that you need to be prepared to lose the 3 fish if you are wrong about their gender or the trio never forms. Personally, the trios I've had in the past came from raising the fish together from young fish and the trios formed. I HAVE had adult males switch partners with no hesitancy so it's always a possibility.

Hope I didn't confuse you. :flowers:

I agree with Aiken that it's better to not mix the pair with other fish.

Angels have a bad habit of not being angelic when it comes to breeding.

As for establishing territories, that only works when there is no breeding involved. A breeding pair will establish a large area in a tank but more often then not, will chase and possibly kill any other fish that comes close to a spawning area while the pair is spawning or guarding a spawn.

That all said, if you are sure the other 3 fish are females, there is also the possibility that a breeding trio may form. I've had that happen where the 2 females spawn at the same time with the male and I've had it where the females spawn separately with the male. The second scenario usually doesn't result in good hatch rates tho if the spawnings are too close in time to each other. :( The bottom line is that you need to be prepared to lose the 3 fish if you are wrong about their gender or the trio never forms. Personally, the trios I've had in the past came from raising the fish together from young fish and the trios formed. I HAVE had adult males switch partners with no hesitancy so it's always a possibility.

Hope I didn't confuse you. :flowers:

Would putting a few dither fish in there help? If worse comes to worse and they start fighting I’ll put a divider in the tank and try to rehome the trio. I have a video of the trio if you could try to sex them through that, but it’s nearly impossible without seeing their tubes. I should also mention the angel PAIR hasn’t spawned in quite a while, which is odd because they spawned weekly over a month ago. Their temperament has gone from semi aggressive to docile as of now. Should I introduce them to the trio before taking them all home?

Update: Ofc right after I posted this my pair laid eggs today ?*♀️ I will not be taking home the trio, as much as I’d love to give them a good home. Thank you both for responding to my post :)

Update: Ofc right after I posted this my pair laid eggs today ?*♀️ I will not be taking home the trio, as much as I’d love to give them a good home. Thank you both for responding to my post :)
Welcome to the world of Angelfish. ;) They never do what you want them to do. LOL
If you want to learn some of the other wonderful things Angelfish can do :facepalm:, feel free to read my thread: Wigglers 2 https://www.aquariumadvice.com/foru...-a-hatchery-and-everything-angels-324616.html

Back
Top Bottom