Angelfish Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok I'll try to locate some baby brine shrimp or something similar size. What's next on the list if I can't find any of those? Honestly I wasn't prepared at all. I kept thinking they wouldn't make it past egg stage! They showed me! Lol! I read a lot of people feed them high quality flake or pellets ground up super fine so I figured that's what I would pick up tomorrow. But hopefully I can find an assortment of different things to try.

Ok thank you. They are very active today!! Parents are cleaning spots in the main tank today. I actually hope they eat the eggs this time I can't handle more babies yet lol but with my luck they'll lay the biggest batch of eggs they can and they'll all survive lol!

Next questions...what temp do you suggest and how often to change water?

Ps I really appreciate all the help! You guys are awesome ?

Try to change as much as often as possible..Even with fry I do 50% ,but I keep mine tiny containers..If they are in a good sized tank you can probably go a couple days in between..You need to feed enough that it wrecks the water so..Little meals as often as possible...They will grow like weeds if you can feed them 3+ times a day..
Temp should be middle upper 70's IMO..
I really enjoy watching others do this so thank you !

Right now they are in a 5 gallon container and when they get a little bigger I will move them to a 20 gallon. I will start feeding 3 times a day and change the water daily. I'm so anxious to see them grow and get color! I will be sad when I have to find them homes lol! So I just fed them for the first time and they didn't seem too interested? There's a big leaf that the eggs were originally laid on in with them that has some algae on it and I've seen a few picking at it and they are actively pooping so are they getting food from that maybe? I will continue offering the ground up food and plan on going to get some other foods to offer as well this evening.

Yea they are eating infusoria off the plant. Adding plants will help them.I still have my month + olds in 1.9 g and they are fine..
They should be good to go for a month easy or more in the 5g..It makes the water changes easier if you have to change less..

Awesome! I was worried the 5 gallon would be too small so that puts my mind at ease. I can change 50% in a few minutes easily! I don't have many plants at the moment but I have a good bit of pothos growing in my 55 gallon could I put a few of those in with the fry? They have some major roots!

The roots only ,but they may help..It takes a bit for the fry to learn to eat.That is why most breeders use the live BBS..It is the movement that first attracts them.
Add the crushed food near bubbler so it has motion.

Yes the roots only. I have a jungle of roots growing in my main tank. All the fish like hiding and swimming in them. I'll put a few cuttings in with babies. Even if just for some cover. I will try putting the food near the bubbler!

Well I have some sad news! I lost all but a few angel babies ☹☹ I have no idea what caused their sudden deaths. Water tested fine. Was doing water changes after feedings and they were all eating and swimming just fine then when I woke up they were all dead. Water temp was about 78 79. Any ideas?! I'll be more prepared next time that's for sure!

Did you see them eat anything beside picking on the plant?
I lose large #s from some batches ..Sometimes the fry are just weak ,possibly genetically ?

Yes they started eating ground up flake and pellets and were doing well at least I thought!

Genetic weakness would have taken them before now. If They are up and eating well they usually do pretty good. More than likely something toxic got in the tank without realizing it. Either that or oxygen levels are low. They usually hang near the bottom, especially at night, and that is where the lowest oxygen concentration is. Make sure there is good circulation in the tank.

I had the air pump turned down a bit as it was sloshing them all around. Maybe that was it? I'll be more prepared next time for sure!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom