Angelfish help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ALukens

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, just purchased two angelfish from my LPS. I've never had angelfish before, one seems to be doing fine while the other has buried himself in some of my floating plants and hasn't moved much at all. He doesn't seem to be breathing heavy, he is opening his mouth to breathe a lot . Could this just be him getting used to a new tank or do I have a situation on my hands? They've only been in the tank a few hours.

Attachments

• image-485431284.jpg
    image-485431284.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 68
Haha I'm just worried because I've wanted these fish for so long and they're the most expensive fish I've ever bought :p

If you acclimated them too quickly, this may be a response to that. What was your acclimation method? Did you check to see that your water parameters were OK before you added the fish? How close in chemistry was your tank to the tank these fish came from? can offer more help once these questions have been answered.

Acclimation would be my first guess
Then water parameters

Also, turn off the tank lights. It calms fish down when first being introduced in a new tank.

Good luck with your angels; one of my 75 gallon tanks has 7 angel fish in it and I hope some day they will reproduce, They should soon,
When I first got the fish, a couple at a time, they were young so they need to be older to reproduce. I have had many fish reproduce in my tanks even albino cat fish laid eggs that I moved to an empty tank and suddenly 30+ babies hatched
Hope my angels have babbies soon.

GOOD LUCK with your angels, be patient

Bad news, woke up to a dead angelfish :(

I just tested my water the day before, all parameters were normal except nitrates which were at 40ppm.

I didn't think to test the water they came in, I've never done that before. I just let their bag float for 30mins then let them go, the other fish is doing great :/

Sorry you lost a fish .
Next time, try slowly adding water from your tank to their bag over an hour and a half or so .
I know how upsetting it is to lose one :(.

Sorry for tour loss. What I do is float the bag for 15 min. Then add a little tank water. Do this 4 or 5 times then net the fish out of the bag and release into tank. This way you slowly get them accustomed to the tank water chemistry. Also never dump the water from the bag in your tank. You never know what is in it.

Bad news, woke up to a dead angelfish :(

I just tested my water the day before, all parameters were normal except nitrates which were at 40ppm.

I didn't think to test the water they came in, I've never done that before. I just let their bag float for 30mins then let them go, the other fish is doing great :/

You got the floating the bag part right (y) but you did nothing to adjust the fish to the new water.:( In the future, you want to float for 15-30 mins depending on the amount of water in the bag, ( More water equals longer float time) then add a small amount of water every 10-15 minutes until the majority of the water in the bag is more new water than the water the fish came in. ( If you are uncertain, it is okay to dump some of the water out of the bag then repeat the adding water part until the fish look like they are okay in the new water.)
Here's a hint: when you take the fish out of the bag and put it/them in the tank ( use a wet net for this), save the water you acclimated them in. If they show signs of too much stress in the tank, you can put them back into their old water and reacclimate them more slowly. ( This would better be done in a bucket with a drip system. )
As stated before, it is never a good idea to add the bag water back into the tank (even after acclimating.) You see, water in the bag can turn foul during transport so you are not doing your tank any favors by adding it back to the tank. Also, as stated before, you don't know what was in the water the fish came from (you should read some of the threads and posts on this site about quarantining new fish and why you should) so you definitely don't want to add anything to your system.

FYI: Just because some fish are able to adjust to rapid water changes does not mean that they all will. You just had that experience. HOWEVER, a weaker fish, if acclimated properly, has a good chance of surviving the change. (BTW: rapid change is a common cause for ich breakouts. Watch these new fish for any signs of irritation.)

Keeping fish is a learning experience. You just learned a lesson. (y) Carry that lesson forward to all your future fish purchases and you should eliminate a lot of future problems (y)

lastly: it is better to have the store test their water in front of you than to test the water in the bag with the fish. As previously stated, water with fish in it can be altered by their breathing and eliminations. These are temporary changes. You want to know what the fish were living in so that they looked and acted good enough for you to want to buy them. ;)

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom