Angelfish laid once never again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silentbaboon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I have 2 angelfish, and as far as I can tell one is male and one is female. The female laid eggs once and the male went behind and fertilized. When I woke up the next morning more than half of the eggs were gone, and by the time I got home they were all gone. I figured this would happen as it was the first time. However that was months ago and me and my wife have never seen them lay any eggs since. I've seen her look like she's trying to get the male 'in the mood' but he just turns and avoids looking at her. He doesn't run or anything just turns a bit away while she tries to get him to engage. What's going on here? Thanks.

Unless you are positive that the "second" fish was a male, it's possible that it also was a female and when the pairing resulted in no fry, they stopped spawning together.
Another possibility is that the male did not like the results of the first spawn and has rejected the female and won't spawn with her again.
Another possibility is the fish are older fish and they won't spawn as frequently ( I have 2 pairs that spawn once a year only.)
The most common and likely reason they have not spawned again is that the conditions that were there when they spawned the first time are not there now. Temperature change, new tankmates, water quality changes and overall health can stop fish from spawning or wanting to spawn. I'd start with the water quality. Run a full line test for everything (PH, Amonnia, Nitrites and Nitrates) to make sure nothing has happened in the tank. Post your results and we can go from there. (y)

I'm about 90-95% sure the second is male as the genitalia looked different to me (opposite ends of a pencil as it was described to me once). As for age, the presumed male is 1 and 1\2 years since I got it and it was young when I did, the definitely female is almost 1 year since I got her and she was young too. I wasn't too sure if a male just not being happy with how the breeding went could be a reason, he was definitely upset at her because I'm pretty positive she ate the eggs, so he was really aggressive to her for a little while. They get along fine now, but like I said she seems to try to engage him to start breeding it seems but he just kind of ignores her. Ill have to wait till I'm home to get the water quality. Also, and I'm not sure if this would affect it, but the male did get sick for a bit a few weeks later and to me it looks like he went blind in the one eye but I'm not too sure about that.

I'm about 90-95% sure the second is male as the genitalia looked different to me (opposite ends of a pencil as it was described to me once). As for age, the presumed male is 1 and 1\2 years since I got it and it was young when I did, the definitely female is almost 1 year since I got her and she was young too. I wasn't too sure if a male just not being happy with how the breeding went could be a reason, he was definitely upset at her because I'm pretty positive she ate the eggs, so he was really aggressive to her for a little while. They get along fine now, but like I said she seems to try to engage him to start breeding it seems but he just kind of ignores her. Ill have to wait till I'm home to get the water quality. Also, and I'm not sure if this would affect it, but the male did get sick for a bit a few weeks later and to me it looks like he went blind in the one eye but I'm not too sure about that.
Okay, so the age & gender reasons should be off the table. The fighting after the spawn is not uncommon and the fish can sometimes get hurt in that battle ( I have 3 males that only have 1 eye each because their mates attacked them after eating their spawn.) The only 1 eye however does not usually stop them from breeding ( my 3 males are all now good breeders.)
The fact that he got sick may have something to do with this. What medications did you use? Some meds can make the males sterile and not willing to spawn.
I guess now we need to see water quality results. Poor water can make the fish not want to breed while keeping the fish alive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom