angelfish nipping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, this afternoon I caught my angelfish nipping my pearl gourami on the lips it's the first time I,ve seen her doing this my pearl got fed up & nipped back. Their in a 55 gallon with my elephant nose. I think it's aggression so the only thing I could think of doing was re arranging my tank. Do you guys have any advice on this as I,ve only had an angelfish for 5wks & is it going too become a problem. Thanks :)

My angels just did it 30 min ago to my 3 spot when I fed them. My gourami and angels have never had problems. Someone could have different experience tho.

I don't have angels with gourami's but from an angelfish standpoint that is cichlid aggression. That is what they do with other angels and it is rarely more than what you see... a lip lock push match and off they each go. My guess would be that if the gourami is of like size to the angel the angel is just showing it how big and bad he/she is. If that is all that is happening I wouldn't be too concerned.

I have kept a gourami with angels before. The gourami eventually got aggressive so I removed it. My angels now do what it sounds kirk Ur fish are doing. I'd just keep an eye on them and make sure there not really doing any damage. Rearranging the tank could help also!

Thanks guys, I,ll keep an eye on them. My gourami is peaceful he's the biggest of the two. Re arranged the plants as soon as I saw it, I think my angel thinks everything in the tank belongs to her! Lol

Got up this morning & my angelfish has torn fins (devastated) caught my gourami last night nipping her their both fighting over the same corner off the tank, any ideas what I could do? I was going to re home the angel but my husband says it should be the gourami. What would you guys do I'm finding it difficult to decide & I know you,ll be honest thanks

Honestly I'd rehome the biggest fin nipping offender. But since you have two gourami if you get rid of one (the nippest) you'd still have an angel and a gourami.

Rivercats said:
Honestly I'd rehome the biggest fin nipping offender. But since you have two gourami if you get rid of one (the nippest) you'd still have an angel and a gourami.

Sorry meant to say I have only one gourami now re homed the other. The angelfish constantly chases & nips the gourami all day then I think he just gets fed up. Should I just try & re arrange the tank again? Worried the angel gets infected I,ve just been doing extra pwc. Thanks

You can try but sometimes certain fish just won't mesh. But when you rearrange try removing the angel and the gourami, then rearrange the tank. Put the gourami back first then the angel. But removing them from the tank, rearranging while they aren't in there, then putting them back is like putting them in a new aquarium where nobody has been and no territories have been claimed.

Next time something like this occurs, when you rearrange the tank use a tank separator and have one on each side, that way they don't get to make the choice which side the get or fight over it.

Thanks you both have good ideas, I,ll try the re arranging first then see how it goes, but I definitely think my angel won't let up & she comes of the worst. Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom