Angelfish Pair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelWings

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know if these are males or females, or a pair?
I've had them for 6 months,and they "dance" all the time, lock lips, and dart at each other. They are inseparable. But I have no idea if they are a pair or just buddies. There are 6 more in the tank, but much smaller than these two, and they don't act the way these two do.

:confused:

Thanks, if anyone knows how to tell these two apart.

f or m.jpg

You really won't know until they spawn, unless they aren't a pair and are just trying to kill eachother

yea, be careful. I had a pair doing the dance and liplocks, and one of them turned up dead :(

Does anyone know if these are males or females, or a pair?
I've had them for 6 months,and they "dance" all the time, lock lips, and dart at each other. They are inseparable. But I have no idea if they are a pair or just buddies. There are 6 more in the tank, but much smaller than these two, and they don't act the way these two do.

:confused:

Thanks, if anyone knows how to tell these two apart.

View attachment 115601

Breeding pairs of Angelfish go through a series of jestures when they first prepare to spawn. Lip locking is one of those jestures. This is usually followed with mutual cleaning of a spawning site. You should also be seeing the larger of the 2 (usually the male) chasing away any of the other Angelfish in the tank. You'll need to sit and observe your fish for a while to see this. Unfortunately, lip locking is also a fighting move between fish so that next step is the key to knowing which is which.

Based on your picture, you appear to have 2 males as they seem to have the forehead hump present in some males. The problem is that from your picture, one also looks like a female (to me) from below so more profile pics would be needed to accurately assess. (As accuratly as possible.;)) The way to know more clearly is by the following: The anal fin of a female usually starts a bit further away from the anus and when fully extended, stays at about a 45 -60 degree angle to the body. The Male's anal fin usually starts right behind the anus and again, fully extended, usually holds at about 70-80 degrees from the body. This method is not fool proof as many fish today are disfigured compared to their wild counterparts but it's a good start.

Next possible test: Looking at the fish from above. Prior to feeding, look at the fish from directly above. A male will have a slender body from top to bottom. A female will have a rounded bottom due to the eggs she is carrying. This test must be done on an empty stomach as a male with food in his belly will look rounded at the bottom as well.

As mentioned before, with all the inbreeding that has been done over the years, Angelfish today have characteristics not usually found on wild Angels. This makes the fin location method and above view method a bit more reliable to sexing the fish. These were the 2 methods I routinely used to create breeding pairs of Angelfish.

Without knowing the actual age of the fish, they may not be old enough to be breeding yet( based on how long you had them and the youngest age you could have gotten them) so the sex wouldn't matter or they are just coming into breeding age (normally 8-12 months). If these were a medium or larger size fish when you got them, then they should be old enough to breed at this point.

If you would like more help in breeding these fish, feel free to Pm me. (y)

Last edited:
if i was to guess i would say you got the names backwards lol. but just a guess

I don't know the breeding information but I have a mating pair of angelfish. The way I tell them apart are the tendrils. The male has long ones and the female has short ones. Don't know that's helpful or a way to tell the sexes apart but I hope it helps.

I don't know the breeding information but I have a mating pair of angelfish. The way I tell them apart are the tendrils. The male has long ones and the female has short ones. Don't know that's helpful or a way to tell the sexes apart but I hope it helps.

FYI: While this might be true on a case by case basis, using this method has it's drawbacks as these fins can easily be shortened through fighting, genetic flaws and nibbled off by other fish. The methods I described in my previous post have been more reliable (90%+ positive ID) and are not subject to these variables. ;)
100% positive ID only comes when the fish are spawning. The one laying the eggs is the female :brows::lol::D

Back
Top Bottom