angelfish sexing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peartree

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Peeps anyone out there know how to sex angelfish i have 6 platinum angels and want to take a pair out for breeding

Only surefire way is to wait for a pair to establish on their own. The only real way to sex angelfish is if it lays eggs its female, if it fertilises them its male.

Even if you you where establish which are male and female and isolate a pair, no guarantee they will pair up.

Hello,
Sexing angels is extremely difficult to be %100 accurate. Some males can develop a larger forehead bump, and females a little flatter from mouth to dorsal fin. This isn’t a certain way though. In the past the faster growing aggressive angels, in the tanks I have, turned to be male but not every time. The only way to know for sure is when they are actively breeding and can see there breeding tubes. Males are pointy females are rounded. The best bet to get a pair is keep them all together, keeping water quality high. They can figure out the sexing part themselves. Start to pair around 12 months but I’ve seen 10 months and also 2 years ? to get a pair. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom