Angelfish sick and eyes turned red. Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would like to give you a bit of advice but not the advice you are asking, but something you may benefit from greatly.

Yes this is a public forum. People are here and trying to help out of their love for the hobby and our aquatic charges. Yes there are always some individuals who may not have the best style of communication or even the rare individual who is trying to stir the pot and cause grief. But you have asked for our help and should assume a question is valid if someone took the time to ask it. There is no such thing as perfect water parameters. What is perfect/normal for one tank might be a disaster for some species. Water test and change schedule are also just a small portion of the environment so full tank shots to show the layout and all items in the tank are helpful. There are so many things that cannot be seen until perhaps someone with knowledge asks you a question and you focus there. Perhaps it may be the answer.
Thanks. I fully agree. For me my fish are my babies. They ar not joke. What I said was reaction to what I have been suffering from long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a freshwater tank. Brackish stock I re homed. There is no marine salt in tank. I didn't put aquarium salt too because it may heart fish eyes. Treating with antibiotic.
You did NOT answer my question? You really don't want help for your fish?
Lets try again...
Is this the tank that was brackish before?
Was that angel in the brackish water?
Salt damages more then the fishes eyes FYI....
Salt can do damage to internal organs that may not show for some time after..

As for the antibiotic it is to treat what the fish has been diagnosed with?
Or you are just BLINDLY throwing medicine at the fish? You don't need to answer this one ,but I would get some good info on offering the incorrect med and its effect on the sick?
I think the addition of meds without A CLUE of what is wrong is a bad practice..

You did NOT answer my question? You really don't want help for your fish?
Lets try again...
Is this the tank that was brackish before?
Was that angel in the brackish water?
Salt damages more then the fishes eyes FYI....
Salt can do damage to internal organs that may not show for some time after..

As for the antibiotic it is to treat what the fish has been diagnosed with?
Or you are just BLINDLY throwing medicine at the fish? You don't need to answer this one ,but I would get some good info on offering the incorrect med and its effect on the sick?
I think the addition of meds without A CLUE of what is wrong is a bad practice..
It was brackish before but cleaned and done numerous water changes and salinity is tested and its hundred percent freshwater tank. No salt. I am not doing aquarium salt treatment because it may heart his eyes. I did not know her disease but 99 percent of fish diseases are usually bacterial. Info I got from Internet and suggestions say to put antibiotic. Its good for infections.

The mads are made to treat specific things..The only thing you are doing is to help build med resistant disease..Thanks !
One quote on how bad salt is for freshwater fish

Despite some of its (rather minor) potential benefits, there are a lot of potential dangers to consider in using salt, especially if you are a beginner. Please make special note of these.

• Although NaCl is not composed of any truly "hard" ions (laundering ions of Mg or Ca, which produce the hard water stains on your tank and are the only ions that count in true carbonate hardness), it does raise the total dissolved solids in the water... these add up to raise general hardness, or GH. This is not well tolerated by a number of fish, especially true softwater fish from places like the Amazon river basin, where there are very few electrolytes of any kind in the water. These fish include (but are not limited to) neon tetras, cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras, hatchetfish, elephantnoses, and discus... in addition, most live plants will not tolerate it either. DO NOT USE SALT WITH ANY OF THESE FISH, AS SOME HAVE RATHER STRINGENT PH/KH/GH REQUIREMENTS, AND COULD DIE AS A RESULT OF THIS ADDITION. There are other Amazonian fish such as angelfish which will not particularly prefer salt, but may possibly tolerate it because they are hardier. Salt can also have an unpredictable effect on other fish, since there are no bodies of water in Nature which are naturally saline (high in NaCl) but very low in "true" hardness ion concentration (Mg, Ca, etc)... Rift African species, for example, need more than just ordinary "aquarium salt" (NaCl alone).
  • Salt, if not predissolved carefully, can give fish bad burns. This is especially true of scaleless fish, such as some types of eels and scaleless catfish.
  • The efficacy (effectiveness) of salt has not been proven experimentally to the satisfaction of many in the pet trade. Some swear by it, but many, as you can see, swear against it.

THE GENERAL RULE IN ANY TANK, ESPECIALLY THAT OF A BEGINNER, IS TO STEER CLEAR OF ADDING ARTIFICIAL ADDITIVES UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. Salt in many tanks is not... in a livebearer only tank (such as one with mollies, swordtails, guppies, or platys), I would consider recommending it (these are moderately hard water fish which like electrolytes in their water... some, such as the molly, from it's Yucatan peninsula natural habitat, actually prefer it because they are semi-brackish), but since so many community tanks contain more delicate, soft water fish such as the neon tetra, I usually do not. Please consider all your fish carefully when setting up a tank environment, as harmony in a mini-ecosystem is extremely difficult to achieve and any one thing can throw it off. The (bolded) note on chemical additives goes not only for salt addition, but also for medications, pH up/down solutions, snail/algae eradicator, etc... if you are a novice and not entirely familiar with what you are adding, USE GREAT CAUTION, and educate yourself completely on the potential effects (some of which are unpredictable) of that product before you add it.

And now a real link again to explain how the damage is done...​
I would discontinue the antibiotics but I didn't pay for your fish so this lesson will not cost me a penny...​
Sorry to say the damage is done I think..​
You know just because you pull someone out of a fire it does not mean they were not already burned? Do you understand how this applies to your fish that was kept in brackish water incorrectly?​

Quote: "This happened overnight. I don't know the reason but one of my newly installed water proof light fell into water from lid at night and I am not sure if it bumped his head. Not sure if that's the cause or if its some bacterial infection.

He was perfectly fine before I slept and saw him bad next day when I woke up. Please help. Thanks."

Just my 2 cents. I think it may be a mechanical injury. Fish are pretty out of it when the lights are off. It may have possibly gotten trapped or injured by the light falling in the water. That was my first thought when I read the post initially. When people have a head injury that causes bleeding around the eyes/head area they get the classic "raccoon eyes" bruises. Their eyes also turn red with ruptured blood vessels too. I know this is apples to oranges but it looks like it was smacked on the head and either has brain damage or a concussion.

I apologize if I've offended you, I may be a bit brash and direct at times but I'm in it 100% for the fish and sometimes I get frustrated easily. Ill stay off yoir threads, best of luck in your future aquatic endeavors. Listen to coral bandit if anyone, he's one of the best out there.

The mads are made to treat specific things..The only thing you are doing is to help build med resistant disease..Thanks !
One quote on how bad salt is for freshwater fish

Despite some of its (rather minor) potential benefits, there are a lot of potential dangers to consider in using salt, especially if you are a beginner. Please make special note of these.

• Although NaCl is not composed of any truly "hard" ions (laundering ions of Mg or Ca, which produce the hard water stains on your tank and are the only ions that count in true carbonate hardness), it does raise the total dissolved solids in the water... these add up to raise general hardness, or GH. This is not well tolerated by a number of fish, especially true softwater fish from places like the Amazon river basin, where there are very few electrolytes of any kind in the water. These fish include (but are not limited to) neon tetras, cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras, hatchetfish, elephantnoses, and discus... in addition, most live plants will not tolerate it either. DO NOT USE SALT WITH ANY OF THESE FISH, AS SOME HAVE RATHER STRINGENT PH/KH/GH REQUIREMENTS, AND COULD DIE AS A RESULT OF THIS ADDITION. There are other Amazonian fish such as angelfish which will not particularly prefer salt, but may possibly tolerate it because they are hardier. Salt can also have an unpredictable effect on other fish, since there are no bodies of water in Nature which are naturally saline (high in NaCl) but very low in "true" hardness ion concentration (Mg, Ca, etc)... Rift African species, for example, need more than just ordinary "aquarium salt" (NaCl alone).
  • Salt, if not predissolved carefully, can give fish bad burns. This is especially true of scaleless fish, such as some types of eels and scaleless catfish.
  • The efficacy (effectiveness) of salt has not been proven experimentally to the satisfaction of many in the pet trade. Some swear by it, but many, as you can see, swear against it.

THE GENERAL RULE IN ANY TANK, ESPECIALLY THAT OF A BEGINNER, IS TO STEER CLEAR OF ADDING ARTIFICIAL ADDITIVES UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. Salt in many tanks is not... in a livebearer only tank (such as one with mollies, swordtails, guppies, or platys), I would consider recommending it (these are moderately hard water fish which like electrolytes in their water... some, such as the molly, from it's Yucatan peninsula natural habitat, actually prefer it because they are semi-brackish), but since so many community tanks contain more delicate, soft water fish such as the neon tetra, I usually do not. Please consider all your fish carefully when setting up a tank environment, as harmony in a mini-ecosystem is extremely difficult to achieve and any one thing can throw it off. The (bolded) note on chemical additives goes not only for salt addition, but also for medications, pH up/down solutions, snail/algae eradicator, etc... if you are a novice and not entirely familiar with what you are adding, USE GREAT CAUTION, and educate yourself completely on the potential effects (some of which are unpredictable) of that product before you add it.

And now a real link again to explain how the damage is done...​
I would discontinue the antibiotics but I didn't pay for your fish so this lesson will not cost me a penny...​
Sorry to say the damage is done I think..​
You know just because you pull someone out of a fire it does not mean they were not already burned? Do you understand how this applies to your fish that was kept in brackish water incorrectly?​
No no. We have misunderstanding. when it was brackish Angelfish was not in it. When it was brackish I had mono Angels, Archers, Scats. All brackish water fish. Then I re home because I was told my tank is not big enough.

So I changed tank back to freshwater and put freshwater fish including Angelfish. Never put any freshwater fish in brackish water.

Just my 2 cents. I think it may be a mechanical injury. Fish are pretty out of it when the lights are off. It may have possibly gotten trapped or injured by the light falling in the water. That was my first thought when I read the post initially. When people have a head injury that causes bleeding around the eyes/head area they get the classic "raccoon eyes" bruises. Their eyes also turn red with ruptured blood vessels too. I know this is apples to oranges but it looks like it was smacked on the head and either has brain damage or a concussion.

+1
I wondered about that possibility myself.

Thanks. I fully agree. Its only you guys don't know but I know his way of talking. I don't need his advise because he is always rude for no reason. He even made fun of me when I asked that my angels behaving like they had seizure and he misguided me that they indeed have seizure and asked me about my tank lights and later admitted he was cynical. For me my fish are my babies. They ar not joke. What I said was reaction to what I have been suffering from long time.

I used to have a great auntie that hated my boyfriend, my hair, clothes and makeup. Nothing I did was good enough. And every opportunity I had to hang out with her before family events I took. That bitter mean old woman could cook and she loved to teach people how. So I bit my tongue and learned for the one good thing she had to share with me.

No no. We have misunderstanding. when it was brackish Angelfish was not in it. When it was brackish I had mono Angels, Archers, Scats. All brackish water fish. Then I re home because I was told my tank is not big enough.

So I changed tank back to freshwater and put freshwater fish including Angelfish. Never put any freshwater fish in brackish water.
Thank you for clarification.
I question the injury also then but think the light is not like many think..Again no real way for any one but who can see it to know..
I will add bacterial infections [at least one] loves clean water and the use of not the proper or enough of antibiotics will do little if any good and potentially again a lot of bad..

I change my water weekly 25-50 percent. My water parameters are perfect.

One of my Angelfish not eating for three days now and developed redness on eye circles. Also his forehead is little red too like some bleeding inside. He is swimming near surface looking upwards for three days.

I started antibiotic Amoxciline 2 gram put in my tank yesterday. Please advise what I need to do to save him. Don't want him to die. I love him a lot and such large white specimen is not easy to get here.

This happened overnight. I don't know the reason but one of my newly installed water proof light fell into water from lid at night and I am not sure if it bumped his head. Not sure if that's the cause or if its some bacterial infection.

He was perfectly fine before I slept and saw him bad next day when I woke up. Please help. Thanks.

For the OP I got stuck on this and wanted to check (apologies if elsewhere):

at 9/4 - fish had not been eating for 3 days. Developed redness. Light fell in water previous night (8/4?) (--> therefore light failure not related to lack of eating?).

"He was perfectly fine before I slept and saw him bad next day when I woke up." --> Does this mean the redness developed overnight or while he wasn't eating for the three days?

Also:
Is he swimming fine now after light failure and no indication of bulging eyes? ie was there any change in swimming behavior pre/post light failure that could suggest something happened from banging his head eg balance? e.g. Was that the looking up to surface or Lying on bottom? What is the fish doing now I think would be useful to see if swimming normally or not and with fins clamped or not.

How are the remaining fish? Is there any suggestion of bacterial infection spreading to other fish since as I understand it, problems started on the 6/4? If it has been 6 days for a bacterial infection it's only targeting weak fish which suggests something environmental as well (some trigger somewhere which is why standard questions on water chemistry are useful to see where they lead but I'm confused on the timeline).

One tablespoon of salt for 5 gallons may aid with a bacterial infection but ime won't defeat it. Also has the amoxicillin been used before successfully? I ask this as I understand it, this will treat gram-positive and some gram-negative bacteria (although better than ampicillin then penicillin next). As most problem aquarium bacteria are gram-negative this may not be effective (if it worked fine previously though, great news and I'll bow out).

For the OP I got stuck on this and wanted to check (apologies if elsewhere):

at 9/4 - fish had not been eating for 3 days. Developed redness. Light fell in water previous night (8/4?) (--> therefore light failure not related to lack of eating?).

"He was perfectly fine before I slept and saw him bad next day when I woke up." --> Does this mean the redness developed overnight or while he wasn't eating for the three days?

Also:
Is he swimming fine now after light failure and no indication of bulging eyes? ie was there any change in swimming behavior pre/post light failure that could suggest something happened from banging his head eg balance? e.g. Was that the looking up to surface or Lying on bottom? What is the fish doing now I think would be useful to see if swimming normally or not and with fins clamped or not.

How are the remaining fish? Is there any suggestion of bacterial infection spreading to other fish since as I understand it, problems started on the 6/4? If it has been 6 days for a bacterial infection it's only targeting weak fish which suggests something environmental as well (some trigger somewhere which is why standard questions on water chemistry are useful to see where they lead but I'm confused on the timeline).

One tablespoon of salt for 5 gallons may aid with a bacterial infection but ime won't defeat it. Also has the amoxicillin been used before successfully? I ask this as I understand it, this will treat gram-positive and some gram-negative bacteria (although better than ampicillin then penicillin next). As most problem aquarium bacteria are gram-negative this may not be effective (if it worked fine previously though, great news and I'll bow out).
Day 7 and he is like before. I see the redness in his forehead is not visible now. Only the eyes are red.

He was fine before the redness in eyes and was eating. I did mention everything in later Posta. I feed tank and see him eating fine as usual. Switched off lights and went to sleep.

Woke up to see one of my newly installed light from lid fell and had one corner in water and I saw him laying on bottom. Later he was swimming like dying. Upside down or tilted. Just like when fish are about to die. I left for like an hour or two and came back and to my surprise found him swimming normally.

He stopped eating since that day. He is active and swimming right just like any other fish but staying near surface and looking upwards all the time. I did notice he is not using his left swimming fin more.

I didn't do salt treatment because not sure as it may hurt his eyes. Lfs guy has no clue so I started Amoxciline as it oncw treated a fungal infection in my tank successfully and is used by aquarists for treating infections. Do you suggest any other antibiotic?

If not salt then suggest what is better? They are certainly correct and I know how to do testing. When I say my water parameters are correct it means they are correct and I don't need to put readings.

Tested with both strips and Api and water parameters are perfect.

Day 6 and he is not eating an as usual on surface. I again put amoxciline yesterday 2 gram but he is same. All other fish are fine and healthy and active.
what are your parameters, aquarium salt is not good for fish. (not healthy) Maybe the light hit him? (just throwing that idea out there) which could have triggered the internal bleeding and fin problem.

Forgot to add his eyes might have been red from the light being turned on so quickly (less likely)

Day 7 and he is like before. I see the redness in his forehead is not visible now. Only the eyes are red.

He was fine before the redness in eyes and was eating. I did mention everything in later Posta. I feed tank and see him eating fine as usual. Switched off lights and went to sleep.

Woke up to see one of my newly installed light from lid fell and had one corner in water and I saw him laying on bottom. Later he was swimming like dying. Upside down or tilted. Just like when fish are about to die. I left for like an hour or two and came back and to my surprise found him swimming normally.

He stopped eating since that day. He is active and swimming right just like any other fish but staying near surface and looking upwards all the time. I did notice he is not using his left swimming fin more.

I didn't do salt treatment because not sure as it may hurt his eyes. Lfs guy has no clue so I started Amoxciline as it oncw treated a fungal infection in my tank successfully and is used by aquarists for treating infections. Do you suggest any other antibiotic?

Out of interest is the light still working or did it short out?

If I'm reading correctly it sounds like he got spooked and hit something (and is now maybe watching out for more lights falling lol). If the eyes are not bulging this sounds good and suggests no fluid build-up / head damage.

I would discontinue treatment and see if he starts eating again. See if the meds have just put him off the food.

If he gets worse again with the redness - I'm not sure what you can get but would go for furan 2 OR oxytetracycline OR triple sulpha. Furan 2 would be the preferred one (if you have aquarium plants treat in hospital tank).

Keep water quality very good to aid healing and test water chemistry to make sure the meds haven't killed your good bacteria.

FYI. Salt I have used up to a tablespoon per gallon with no issues. Sometimes useful, sometimes not.

what are your parameters, aquarium salt is not good for fish. (not healthy) Maybe the light hit him? (just throwing that idea out there) which could have triggered the internal bleeding and fin problem.

Out of interest is the light still working or did it short out?

If I'm reading correctly it sounds like he got spooked and hit something (and is now maybe watching out for more lights falling lol). If the eyes are not bulging this sounds good and suggests no fluid build-up / head damage.

I would discontinue treatment and see if he starts eating again. See if the meds have just put him off the food.

If he gets worse again with the redness - I'm not sure what you can get but would go for furan 2 OR oxytetracycline OR triple sulpha. Furan 2 would be the preferred one (if you have aquarium plants treat in hospital tank).

Keep water quality very good to aid healing and test water chemistry to make sure the meds haven't killed your good bacteria.

FYI. Salt I have used up to a tablespoon per gallon with no issues. Sometimes useful, sometimes not.
Day 8 and not eating still and usual looking up. I did notice redness in his eyes is not severe as it was before. Eyes are not dull at all. They are pure black with redness on eye rounds but now less red.

Water parameters as of today:

Temperature 27c
PH 7
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 20

Now new problem. Ich started in few of my other fish. I am starting a new topic on it.

Back
Top Bottom