Angelfish Spawning O.oHelp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaiofcanada

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I figured I would have this bad luck even though I am SUPER excited!!!!

I have 4 juvenile angels (only 1.5-2in each) in my heavily planted 20g high community tank. I wanted to get a nice pair and always planned on getting a 50-70+g home for them within this the year. It seems they don't like my scheduling plan and have started to display spawning behaviour. Two are regularly locking lips and chasing the other fish around. I can also see the papillas formed on 3 of the 4. I still can't tell which are male or female, but one seems very interested in various surfaces and I will assume that might be the female for now.

So...HELP! What to do...?!?!?

Plan A: I already have an extra 20g HOB filter hooked up on the main tank that has been there for 6 months just for this emergency. The filter is well loaded with bacteria by now...but I have no tank. I also have extra gravel in the tank so that I might remove some to seed a new tank.

The problem right now is no tank, and even if I got one I am not sure I could get it cycled in time for the spawn/fry hatching even with seeded gravel and a mature filter.

I am waiting to hear from a friend who might have a couple extra tanks that I couple borrow.

So I was thinking I could go to the lfs and buy one of those clear divider screens to seperate the pair for now from the rest. Divide the tank lengthwise leaving some spawning surfaces on the front side. I figured front side away from the filter intact both to prevent spawning on the filter intake and for the sake of the fry.

Problem 1: The other fish. Other than angels I have a 2.5 in rubber lipped pleco and 3 oto cats. It is darned near impossible to catch the otos, even after I spot them. I am not even sure if I can. Will they be killed or harm the eggs if I can't?

Problem 2: Speed cycling the other tank to move the extra fish to. Not sure how long the courting stuff goes on for before the eggs are laid. Any idea on how much time I have o_O

Any advice would be great! Yippeee! I am gonna be an angelfish mama for the first time!!!

its very possible to cycle a tank very quickly... if you can get your hands on one, and since you have the extra filter already in the tank, if you move over the filter and some decor, you shouldnt see any change in water params... i set up a 10g for those plants i got from you, put the filter in one night, next morning added a few fish, ammonia never went above 0

I say if you have no plan to sell them, feed them to other fish as food. You'll end up regreting devoting a tank to just a bunch of fry and you will eventually want to do other things with that tank that you cannot because you cannot get rid of your angels.

IMO, since you are not prepared because of the fish having there own plans, I would let this spawn go, you will have plenty more to deal with :).

A way that you can sex angels, of which is not a surefire method and most likely can't be done at this size, is to look at the length of there underside between the bottom fin and tail. Females have a longer space than the males do there.

They could very well just be establishing dominance and territory instead of spawning behaviors. Also, I have heard first time spawns in Angels are usually eaten by the parents.

Sorry, not trying burst your bubble or anything. The Angels just seem way to young to be spawning yet to me. I would say leave things alone and see what happens. It would be a bummer if you went to all the trouble setting up another tank for nothing.

Back
Top Bottom