Angelfish vs. Discus. Can they breed??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CiRXSi

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here's the deal folks. Gees I'm excited. Might be for nothing though. That's where you guys come in. Can a discus successfully fertilize angelfish eggs? Angel's been in the tank for about a year and a half now, with no other angels in the tank. Well, for about the last six weeks, she's been able to happily co-exist with a discus. Both are doing wonderful, but don't exhibit obvious signs of a pair. Even so, assuming the discus is a male, can discus fertilize her eggs? She started laying them about 90 minutes ago. Can I get offspring out of this? Or is she just getting it out of her system being she might think she has a potential mate? Any info would be ecstatically appreciated!! Thank you in advance!!!!

Female angels will definitely let their eggs go (it's a part of nature). There are even some who have had two female angels appear to be mated (one female laid the eggs and the other went behind "appearing" to fertilize them).

it would be cool though... i mean, something like a horse and a donkey making a mule?

Sorry to curb your excitement, but it is not going to happen at least not naturally. :wink:

Kind of like humans and an apes similar species and the parts may work, but without help from a lab it is not going to happen.

To be honest I don't think I would want it to (I mean the fish of course) (well, and the whole ape thing too :lol: ). Discus and Angels are both unique breeds to be enjoyed.

I guess it kind of goes back to the whole debate about parrot cichlids a few years back somethings are just not meant to be.

What was the line in Jurasic Park..."Just because we can does not mean we should", or something like that.

Yeah, nothing's happening as far as the discus attempting to fertilize. Thanks for the help though!!!

CiRXSi said:
But if the discus is a male, is it a possibility?

Don't you think If it were at all possible it would have been done by now?

They both require totally different breeding conditions, so NO.

Back
Top Bottom