Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan_Forbz

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey there. i was just interesting in maybe obtaining some angels for a 40 gal tank in a community with 4 swordtails, 3 panchax's 1 molly and 2 bristlenoses.

would a pair of angels work together in this size tank, or cause problems becuase of over stocking??

also can any1 give me any helpful information on these fish. i read up a bit on them ie: ph 6 - 9, soft to medium water, lives from 4 - 9 years if kept well. grows to 10 cm long, shouldnt be kept with nipping species like some tetras, barbs, guppies.

anything else im missing??

A pair in a 40 would work IMO. Avoid torpedo shaped fish in general and pH from 6-9 is too wide of a range. Keep them stable under 8.0.

IMO? what does that stand for ? And angel fish prefer it 6.5 - 7.5, but because of your other fish in the tank I agree with HN1.

IMO? what does that stand for ? And angel fish prefer it 6.5 - 7.5, but because of your other fish in the tank I agree with HN1.

In My Opinion.

6.5 - 7.5 is a nice generic range, but their preferred pH can vary based on the conditions they've been bred and raised at. Also, wild caughts generally need much lower.

okay, thanks for your replies. my ph in that specific tank is 7.6, with 0.15 ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites and .20 ppm nitrates. i do water changes about every fortnight. perhaps its not best going with angels because of the ph. also are there any special differences between normal angels and veil tail angels??

or what do you all think, would angels work in this tank?

Domesticated angels(LFS angels) will do just fine with that Ph.

id work on getting the ammonia and nitrAtes down.

haha yea, i normally take out about 10L , its not too bad at the moment. the fish seem fine with it.

im more worried about my electric yellows, which dont seem to be eating much. which causes a heap of waste as for non eaten food, which will probably spike up a high ammonia reading. that tank gets a water change probably every 3 days lol of about 10%

Back
Top Bottom