Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl1965

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was just wondering how many angelfish could be put in a 55 gallon tank? There are already 9 corys,10 rasboras and 2 danios in the tank. I have 4 angelsfish as of now with mininal aggression but I would like to add at least 2 more angelfish.

I bet you could fit two more Angelfish in your tank if their not the Altum Angelfish

I was just wondering how many angelfish could be put in a 55 gallon tank? There are already 9 corys,10 rasboras and 2 danios in the tank. I have 4 angelsfish as of now with mininal aggression but I would like to add at least 2 more angelfish.

It depends on the size and maturity of your Angels. ONE full size Angelfish should be given at least 10 gallons of swimming space. You could probaly have 6 juvenile Angels, but Id say 4 is plenty in a 55 especially since you have a lot of littler fish. Also, some of your Angels could pair off which would cause them to be aggressive towards your other Angels and other fish in your tank and you would end up having to seperate them. I have a 55 with a pair of Cobalt Blue Angelfish and a shrinking group of 3 spot gouramis. So, with that being said, I'd stongly suggest NOT adding anything else to your tank.

Right now I have no aggression between any of the other fish in the 55 gallon tank. The angels in the tank have not paired off so I don't know whether they are all male or female . Does anyone the best way to tell which are male or female angelfish in a tank?

Right now I have no aggression between any of the other fish in the 55 gallon tank. The angels in the tank have not paired off so I don't know whether they are all male or female . Does anyone the best way to tell which are male or female angelfish in a tank?

How big are your Angels? Juveniles will display hardly any aggression. As for sexing, you usually can't tell until they pair off and start to breed. Pairs can be Male to Male, Female to Female and Male to Female. The best way to sex them is when they start to breed their breeding tubes will show and you can differentiate based on the shape of the tip. Not sure exactly how though. SOMETIMES there are minor exterior physical differences between male and female, but I've heard its not always accurate.

Mr. Fishman has given you some great advice. I tend to follow the one adult per 10 gallon philosophy as well. While nothing is set in stone, at least understanding the guidelines and reasons behind them help you make informed decisions. If we're talking young fish, I'd personally keep multiples more, knowing a new tank to split them up as they mature is in order. If that's not realistic, I'd stock young fish based on adult rules. I have a terrible case of collectoritis and impatience when it comes to my hobbies, so I know the urge to have a full tank now!

I have a heavily planted 65g display tank with 4 pre breeder angels (heavenly behavior) and a 55g display intended for 4-6 angels. Had a pair spawn in a small holding tank before I was ready to move into the 55 and their personalities have changed! Herding other fish, dominating anything that's a perceived threat, etc. Might need to revise down that angel count to 4 myself!

Back
Top Bottom