Angels: 1, 2, 3 or what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coreyfleming

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently purchased 3 angels. 2 died on me but the remaining 1 seems to be doing just fine. However, is it good for an angel to not be with other angels? I just looked at a couple of web sites. Some say 1 or 6 plus, but not 3 because they will fight for dominance. I have a 30 gallon tank with other fish so I don't have room for 6 but but could add 1 or 2 more angels. If one by itself is fine, I'll stay as is but don't want to stress the fish out from loneliness. Please advise.

One by himself is just fine. My angel did great by himself for a long time, i tried to add another and he hated the new angel

angels

Hi! Im new to the forum, but not to aquarium keeping. Angels are beautiful and very graceful, but they are cichlids. Online reading suggested anywhere from 8 to 12 juvenile angels needed to form breeding pairs (let them grow up together and pair up naturally). We purchased 3 very small angels and they did very well, but 2 eventually paired up. While the 3 were very small, I came across an angel that i simply had to get. Now, out of 4, I have 2 breeding pairs. My caution is this, if you have more than 1 and they pair up, they become VERY aggresive and territorial when spawning. I am no expert, but i simply wanted to inform you of my situation. When not spawning, they are elegant and docile. My situation nay be rare; perhaps someone else could be of further assistance. Good luck!

In my opinion a 30 gallon is too small for 3 full grown angels. The only way i would say to add another one is if you dont have many, or any mid-top swimmers. They need their space, mostly during breeding if they pair up. And its basically trial and error if you add a second one. Make sure its the same size. They will probably fight a little til one establishes dominance.

Back
Top Bottom