Angels and Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arnoldndana

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 125 gallon planted community tank with killifish, longfin danios, threadfin rainbows, angels, corydoras, and a German ram. Can I put female Bettas in there?
IMG_20171121_084544.jpg

Your tank might be big enough to pull the combination off. Once I added a beautiful betta into a 65 gal. Tank full of non agressive Rainbows and various tetras, Bleeding Hearts and Columbians. All was fine, until one morning I awoke to find the Betta, finless, lying on the bottom of the tank. That hurt.
It seems that the big flowing fins of Bettas are sometimes too big of a temptation for otherwise docile fish.
You never know until you try.

I didn't know I couldn't house female Bettas in the same water column as males, even though they're in a separate column as the males in a divided tank.IMG_20171121_131831.jpg

The shorter fins of the female bettas greatly increase their chances of survival in your community tank. I would think that a divided tank would work for keeping opposite sex bettas together. I guess you found out otherwise.

Well, one female betta keeps attacking the other female betta because the one being picked on is much smaller. I figured if I put them in the 125 gallon that it might be better but not sure.

Might try adding a third female in with the two that are fighting to dilute aggression. That might be a better plan than tossing them into the general population of a community tank.

A Betta sorority (female grouping) needs at minimum a 30g tank to work put. Following that, at least 5 individual female Bettas will be needed.

The long term success rate for Betta sororities is abysmal however.

Your best bet is to get a single plakatt male Betta in a community tank and call it a day.

I have 2 betta tanks and the 125 gallon community tank. In the divided 20 gallon tank i have 2 males in 1 chamber a piece and 2 females in the other chamber. I have one in a net breeder to grow her out because she fits through the holes of the dividers and goes into the males chambers. The other tank i have is a 3.7 gallon with a male in it. I was told that males and females shouldn't share the same tank water after I bought them. This is my dilemma. Just trying to find a solution because I don't have room for another tank or rethinking the females and rehoming them.

And call it a day? Please don't get snippy with me. If knew what I now know I wouldn't have bought female Bettas in the first place. We all start from somewhere and make mistakes along the way. I'm looking for a solution that's best for the females so I don't make any more mistakes and want to be successful with the least amount of stress on my fish.

You have quite the Betta operation going on. I think you should re home the quarrelsome females to regain equalibrium.

We all make mistakes in regards to buying the "wrong" fish. I just rehomed 4 African cichlds, and traded in 8 more back to my favorite mom and pop fish store. Live and learn.

Yeah, I hear ya. Found a home for one of my female Bettas. I may have found a home for the other one but don't know yet. I may accidently keep one female and put it in the 3.7 gallon by herself and the male that's in that one in the extra chamber of the 20 gallon divided male tank.

And call it a day? Please don't get snippy with me. If knew what I now know I wouldn't have bought female Bettas in the first place. We all start from somewhere and make mistakes along the way. I'm looking for a solution that's best for the females so I don't make any more mistakes and want to be successful with the least amount of stress on my fish.
Sorry if you took offense from what I said, no snarkiness was meant by what I said.

Back
Top Bottom