angels and severums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MICEY

Aquarium Advice Freak
are angels and severums a good mix < I was thinking ether 2 gold severums and 2 black veil angels
or @ gold angels and some red head severums
and maybe a few loachs

Angels have such a different body shape that most other cichlids don't see them as direct competition. They should be fine with severums, just don't mix them with something like a butti that will kill or eat any other fish in the tank.

im tired of very aggressive cichlids , I had Africans and convicts lately and what some mellower cichlids , like wet pets

Should work fine but no live plants with severums they all eat them

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It also helps to know how big of a tank you are looking at doing this with. Some pairings work with bigger tanks, but not with smaller ones. :)

Severums will really need a 125 or larger when they're fully grown, though that usually takes a couple years or so.

In my experience Severums are far more aggressive than Angels and much more robust. It could work if you get a very placid Severum, but i don't think i would do it.

I keep my Severum with an Oscar, JD, Salvini and Blue Acara. Basically, same size and slightly on the placid side or smaller and more aggressive. I would class Angels as peaceful in comparison to most cichlids.

I keep my Angel with a Discus and a little collection of rams in slightly warmer water (although that's less so for the Angel and more for the others).

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Angels are no Angels, they can be nasty at times toward tank mates especially other Angels. I had one to bite my finger.

Severums and Angels are doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Agreed to a point, but when you put them in with larger and more boisterous cichlids they usually don't make it. The slow moving long finned look is too tempting to many. A lot of Severums would probably leave them alone but a large territorial male or a breeding pair may well destroy any Angelfish in their way. Angel's can be nasty with other Angel fish or 'community fish' though, no doubt about that.

Severums are a universal cichlid when it comes to aggression. They typically aren't aggressive unless they need to be. That's why they are good with some of the bigger cichlids, as well as in some community tanks. With that being said, I personally wouldn't do it because they would look odd together IMO.

Also, Severums don't need a 125. A 75 will suffice for a pair....

Agree to both them being doable but also that it needs to be done in a larger aquarium.
Something to think about, however, Black Angels tend to be less hearty than other color forms of Angels which could play some part in the outcome. I'm not sure I would do this with Black Angels. Just my opinion. ;)

Hope this helps (y)

How big is this tank that you plan on using. Severums get around a foot big. Otherwise it should be a nice match both peaceful species

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom