Annoying Cherry Barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sanfranman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice

so I have a 55 gallon freshwater community tank, with 2 male and 2 female cherry barbs, 2 Mollies, 5 guppies, and 8 neon tetras. The larger of the 2 male cherries, will not only chase around his female counterpart, but he is relentless towards the tetras and guppies as well. I do not want a stressed out tank or an aggressive fish. Will adding a third female fix this, or will it just be another fish for him to chase? or should I get rid of him all together and leave it at 1 male and 2 females? thanks in advance.

There is no "for sure" answer..some fish, no matter what they are, are just bullies! i had a male platy a while back that was just a jerk! lol You can try adding more females..a nice school sometimes calms aggressive fish..unfortunately he may still continue to be a meanie! Good luck whatever you choose to do. I do tend to stick to an "at least two females per male" ratio in community tanks.

thank you. I actually did add 2 more females on Tuesday and he seems slightly more content. If anything, it's fun seeing the four females so tight.

Back
Top Bottom