another 10 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOMA

Aquarium Advice Addict
im starting my 10 gallon tank this weekend! woot woot!!!
here is what im starting with:
img_1266173_0_8c1ceb741eab114e10765fda77c26256.jpg

what i have:
- aquaclear 50 HOB
- 2 50 watt tetra heaters
- 3 pounds of live rock
- 5 pounds of base rock
- 5 pounds of sand
- canopy/hood
-test kit
- hydrometer
- 50 gallon salt mix
- thermometer

what i need:
- powerhead, 200gph??? (how many gph?)
- 2 coralife compact lights
- 5 pounds of sand*
- 5 pounds of base rock??? (do you think i need more?)
- what am i missing?

*im am getting these so i can set up the tank with water and sand and get it cycling. then i would buy the powerhead.

i am going to try to have lots of pictures and posts.

~joma

A 240 gph would be fine for that tank. You look like you need about 5 more lbs of sand.

All in all a good start, an AC50 will be great for that tank

i ment to say timer and thermometer, and i have the API liquid test.

Yeah, the AC50 will be fine, but if i were you, i would look into upgrading to the AC70. With that filter you won't need any other powerheads. The flow alone from the AC70 will be enough for the entire tank. If you do something like SPS though, that's when you may need more flow. Plus, you get the added space of the AC70.

Also, i would skip the power compact lights. Go with T5HO's. If your are going to go with the 2 bulb PC light, you may as well go with the 2 bulb T5HO light. It's made by Current USA. Check it out. The bulbs will be cheaper and they will last longer, and give your corals better color.

Also, i don't see a refractometer or hydrometer anywhere on that list. Got one of those? If not, i would advise going with the refractometer. Much better than the hydrometer and way more accurate.

Also, lol, got RO/DI?

Is there another 2 bulb T5HO by Current other than the Nova Extreme? Because it doesn't come in 20", and the 18" won't fit a standard 10g.

i dont want to spend a lot on lightning, i have other expenses, and yes i have a refractometer. i am using tap water (i used it for my 2 gallon with no ill effects)

How much is the compact lighting your looking at? The T5HO fixture i was talking about is like 60 bucks, with shipping. And you could actually most likely find it cheaper on local reef forums, ebay, or craigslist, or other reefing sites.

If you check here, i bet you will find what you are looking for, for cheap cheap.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showforum=11

Btw, the only reason i'm pushing for T5, is because in the long run, and maybe even right now, it will all be cheaper. PC bulbs are usually NOT cheap at all. The replacement bulbs for that T5 fixture i mentioned are $12 on amazon.com lol.. and you only have to replace them every 12-18 months. Whereas with the PCs, it's anywhere from 6 months to 12 months, depending on how good the quality of the bulb is. I'm trying to save you money. :) Plus, you get MUCH better color from the T5's then you would the PC's. I know a lot of people like PC's out there, and that's perfectly fine, but i have personally tested both on many occasions and i always find myself loving the colors that T5's bring out. I'll never use PC's again.

As for the water, consider yourself lucky. Almost all reefers out there have troubles with their water having a high TDS level. Causes all sorts of mayhem in a saltwater tank.

Kudos to you for going the refracto way. Best piece of equipment anyone can have IMO.

i feel stupid, i ment to say hydrometer. if i am doing FOWLR do i need powerful light?

Meh, hydrometers aren't all that great, but i guess you could get by with it. I would make it a priority to eventually get a refractometer though.

If you are doing FOWLR, no, you do not need a strong light at all.

okay, so i will start with my hood for now, then if i wanna add corals i will upgrade. i dont plan on that being for months though

Yeah, I definitely agree with Zer0, from someone who's stuck with PC lights right now, I hate them. The color is blah, and the bulbs are expensive all compared to T5s. Jen's fixture makes me so jealous..

I know everyone is going to knock me, but if you're on a tight budget, look into Oddysea's lighting. I have their 20" model on my 10 gallon reef, and am very happy with it for that purpose.

Some of the newer Odyssea light fixtures are better. They are still made like junk, and it really shows in their product quality, but they are a great deal better then their older models. No more house fires, from what i've read. I still wouldn't spend the money on their fixtures. It's just not worth it.

If you are on a budget and still want decent lights, i would look in to fish need it;lights; food;Sponge fixtures. Those are great for the price, the quality is also great and the stock lamps on their fixtures aren't all that bad. You would definitely benefit from changing out the stock bulbs eventually, but the original ones are decent. Great light solutions for people on budgets.

Back
Top Bottom