Another Centerpiece Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone,
I have been trying to figure out what I would like as a centerpiece fish and I have decided to turn to you to help me as I know pretty much everyone on here knows more than I.

As a backstory to get you thinking, I have a 25 gallon tank with live plants, including two moss balls. I have plenty of hiding places everywhere. I currently have in the tank 5 neon tetras, 4 guppies, a clown pleco, and 2 small snails.

I am looking for a fish that will make you stop and look at the tank, instead of just glance at it and walk away. I have been looking at Rams but I am being open minded on this. Color does not matter so much.

My first two options were Boesemani Rainbows, but at your recommendation to me, I returned them as my tank was too small. Next was to get a Hammers Cobalt Blue lobster, but upon research, they will east my other fish I currently have along with the plants. So if you have any recommendations, please feel free to help out! Thank you!!

Maybe a platinum angel fish, or a pearl gourami? The rams would also be beautiful though.

I think a single angel or pearl gourami would be ok in a 25 gallon. Although they get large, they both are very chill fish and don't like to swim fast and far (like rainbows). The main thing about angels is that your tank is tall enough- I believe most people suggest at least 18" tall.

Neons and guppies would be a nice snack for a angelfish once it gets big! A single larger gourami (or two honey gouramis) would be a better choice.

I'm think of getting rams as a center piece for my 26 gallon so if you get them before please share what you think of them

Neons and guppies would be a nice snack for a angelfish once it gets big! A single larger gourami (or two honey gouramis) would be a better choice.

I looked up the (neon) gouramis and I saw that part of the surface needs to be covered with plants. Is this necessary? My tank is heavily planted.

I looked up the (neon) gouramis and I saw that part of the surface needs to be covered with plants. Is this necessary? My tank is heavily planted.
They'll spend much of their time at the surface and enjoy hanging out under floating plants. It's not absolutely necessary but they do appreciate floating plants quite a bit. I've found that they show better color when they have some shade too.

I also agree that a pearl gourami would make for a nice selection. Another option would be an apistogramma cacatuoides.

Does anyone have experience with neon blue dwarf gouramis? Those look really pretty. I might do two of those with two Gold Rams

Unless you can get females (which are quite rare) it's generally best to just go with one male.

Back
Top Bottom