Another epidemic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow like it. i'm not as fimiliar with africans,but i thought they liked the ph higher than that

biss444 said:
wow like it. i'm not as fimiliar with africans,but i thought they liked the ph higher than that

Thanks! I removed the branch, with everything going on I wanted to open the front up more for free swimming side to side.

Took this from a article.

Published pH values for Lake Malawi range from 7.7 to 8.6, and for Lake Tanganyika from 7.3 to 8.0. Reported hardness values for Malawi range from 6 to 10 degrees of hardness (DH) (125.0 to 170.5 parts per million total dissolved solids — ppm TDS), and for Lake Tanganyika from 10 to 12 DH (170.5 to 205.0 ppm TDS).

Convict2161 said:
Thanks! I removed the branch, with everything going on I wanted to open the front up more for free swimming side to side.

Took this from a article.

Published pH values for Lake Malawi range from 7.7 to 8.6, and for Lake Tanganyika from 7.3 to 8.0. Reported hardness values for Malawi range from 6 to 10 degrees of hardness (DH) (125.0 to 170.5 parts per million total dissolved solids — ppm TDS), and for Lake Tanganyika from 10 to 12 DH (170.5 to 205.0 ppm TDS).

Huh that's odd
From what I've read and all I thought it looked more like this
Ph 7.8-8.6
Hardness 4.0-6.0dh
Salanity 1.005-1.010

This was from things I've read about Malawi waters itself not ones for the fish profiles. But it does say that at different parts of the lake the ph and hardness change.

Last edited:
Andrew McFadden said:
Huh that's odd
From what I've read and all I thought it looked more like this
Ph 7.8-8.6
Hardness 4.0-6.0dh
Salanity 1.005-1.010

This was from things I've read about Malawi waters itself not ones for the fish. But it does say that at different parts of the lake the ph and hardness change

Yea your not off Andy, different parts of the lake are different hardness. The article could have been from one are. I too also read the 7.8-8.6 they take a very wide range in pH levels but we already knew that ;)

Same goes for the salt and hardness

Convict2161 said:
Yea your not off Andy, different parts of the lake are different hardness. The article could have been from one are. I too also read the 7.8-8.6 they take a very wide range in pH levels but we already knew that ;)

Same goes for the salt and hardness

I don't think this is your problem

Do you have any air stones or anything breaking the surface of the water, or just the AC filter ? Is it possible with it being overstocked that once the AC filter was turned off there was little to no surface agitation and the oxygen quickly depleted?

I'm just grabbing at straws, not sure if that's even possible. I was concerned about surface agitation when I switched from 2 hob filters to my fx5 so I got a good airpump and some air stones.

You have made a lot of changes in the past few weeks (removing Anubias, adding driftwood, rearranging). Any chance the Oxygen/Carbon Dioxide balance went out of whack? Since you removed the plants some weeks ago, I would not think that was the cause, unless it just took a while for the effects to be felt by the fish.

Those are all good points and ideas about what has shifted. I just can't find much to back anything up. The fx5 definitely didn't agitate the surface so I have the AC110. I had a air stone and took it out because I was going for such a natural look and the humming from the Rena 300 drive me nuts. Plus it gave my tank micro bubble. As soon as I shut it off the water cleared right up.

Please stay on topic. There is a chat room and AOT/Watering Hole for OT stuff. Questions not pertaining to the topic of this thread can be asked via PM.

Maybe a more veteran fishkeeper can better answer but the only thing I can think of is if you took out an airstone which agitated the surface, then turned off the AC filter which was the only thing left agitating the surface, maybe there wasn't enough gas exchange to provide adequate oxygen. For most people maybe it wouldn't be an issue, but because your tank is overstocked that's why it became a problem. When you turned back on the AC filter it provided enough gas exchange and oxygen levels increased.

That's the only explanation I can see right now!!

My buddy from the fish store told me to turn the lights off and drop the water level until everything is splashing hitting the water. There all breathing like they ran a marathon. All of a sudden? What depletes oxygen that fast? If that's the case.

Considering that you have a huge canister filter and a powerhead going it's probably not a low oxygen issue. Did you test the water? There is more than low o2/high co2 that can cause fish to pant like that.

Last edited:
jetajockey said:
Considering that you have a huge canister filter and a powerhead going it's probably not a low oxygen issue. Did you test the water? There is more than low o2/high co2 that can cause fish to pant like that.

The only reason why I thought it was oxygen issue is because it started shortly after turning off his hob filter which was the only thing providing surface agitation. Once it was turned back on, fish stopped panting. This is crazy though!

The only reason why I thought it was oxygen issue is because it started shortly after turning off his hob filter which was the only thing providing surface agitation. Once it was turned back on, fish stopped panting. This is crazy though!

Yeah, just think it's odd with the amount of water being moved in that tank. An fx5 is rated for a much much larger tank so the water is moving fast to begin with, that plus a powerhead means a lot of gas exchange even if its not splashing the surface. Fish can pant from elevated ammonia or nitrite, in the case of ammonia a high pH means it only takes a small amount before they start showing symptoms. One is heavy breathing because it can become increasingly harder for them to get oxygen. Increasing the o2 in the tank would help remedy that symptom even if it doesn't fix the underlying problem.

Not saying this is what's happening but just throwing some other ideas out there.

That makes sense. He said he tested and all was good, he even has 2 test kits. Maybe they are not old/bad and it is a mini cycle or something.

Ah I must have missed that part. These threads are hard for me to follow because the conversation takes so many directions.

I know when my fish start panting randomly I do a big water change just in case something got into the tank or there's a nitrogen related issue.

Could dead spots in the tank (substrate) and recent agitation be the culprit as well? I.e anaerobic bacteria or hydrogen sulfide? You would notice a smell if it was the latter though.

I did test the tap and tank water all was good. The air stone has been off for months. The ONLY thing that changed in that time frame was the AC110 was turned off. About an hour or do later that we're sluggish, some at the surface, some at the bottom all breathing heavy, not one fish came to me when I walked up to the tank. I had this horrible feeling something wasn't right.

I lowered the water level and plugged the AC110 back in within the hour they were looking and acting better. Today there back to there old same selves again.

Convict, still all well? From what I read in this thread, the lack of the 110 filtration/aeration may have been the cause of you latest scare.

Labenator65000 said:
Convict, still all well? From what I read in this thread, the lack of the 110 filtration/aeration may have been the cause of you latest scare.

2 more dead today. Man I can't figure this out. Going to the pool company tomorrow to get water tested for every thing! This is starting to just wear me down.

They look healthy! Nobody is showing signs of anything. Can this all be just aggression? I've read horror stories online about this happening and all of sudden there's like 2 fish left. The ninja fish just picks off every fish! It all happens in the dark!

And yea I think me turning off the AC caused that big scare. I have the water level lower now and the AC is doing a great job, fish look good. The ones that are still alive. One thing I do know is I don't think this tank is overstocked anymore :(

image-3067692720.jpg

image-1836542617.jpg

Number 14....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom