Another filtration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jevousdeteste

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Which would you guys recommend for a 10/15 gal: AquaClear 150 (or 200, if that would be better), or a Fluval 2 Plus?

Right now the 15 gal is home to five livebearer fry and has a Whisper 5-15 HOB that came with the tank. Eventually, I'm going to move the fry to a 10 gal and convert the 15 gal into a dwarf puffer tank. I'm not entirely sure of the difference in water quality that an HOB would maintain, compared to a internal filter, as I've never used one. After I upgrade my other tank's filtration to a canister (which won't be for a few months), I'm going to use its Penguin Bio-wheel 200B on the 15 gal, anyway, and move whatever filter I get to the 10 gal. So yeah--efficient enough for a 15 gal, but not too much for a 10 gal.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

I was told the 200 for a ten gallon with cichlids.... 8O :)
I too only ude internal and will soon be using my fist hob

the fluval 3 would be good if you need extra not as the main from what I was told...

jevousdeteste said:
Which would you guys recommend for a 10/15 gal: AquaClear 150 (or 200, if that would be better), or a Fluval 3 Plus?

Right now the 15 gal is home to five livebearer fry and has a Whisper 5-15 HOB that came with the tank. Eventually, I'm going to move the fry to a 10 gal and convert the 15 gal into a dwarf puffer tank. I'm not entirely sure of the difference in water quality that an HOB would maintain, compared to a internal filter, as I've never used one. After I upgrade my other tank's filtration to a canister (which won't be for a few months), I'm going to use its Penguin Bio-wheel 200B on the 15 gal, anyway, and move whatever filter I get to the 10 gal. So yeah--efficient enough for a 15 gal, but not too much for a 10 gal.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Why are you thinking about a Fluval 304 for a little 15g tank? The 304 is good for tanks up to 70 gallons, you could easily go with a smaller filter.

Tony Starks said:
Why are you thinking about a Fluval 304 for a little 15g tank? The 304 is good for tanks up to 70 gallons, you could easily go with a smaller filter.

Fluval 2 Plus or the Fluval 3 Plus are the ones I'm thinking about. They're of the underwater variety, which I'm totally unfamiliar with. I suppose that the 3 plus would be a bit of overkill for 15g, though.

jevousdeteste said:
Tony Starks said:

Fluval 2 Plus or the Fluval 3 Plus are the ones I'm thinking about. They're of the underwater variety, which I'm totally unfamiliar with. I suppose that the 3 plus would be a bit of overkill for 15g, though.

My bad, I would probably go for a HOB though.

I have a small Fluval internal, and they are farmore trouble to maintain than the Aquaclears, plus they take up tank space and are ugly.

If you already have a filter why dont you try getting a sponge prefilter for it? that could solve some problems.. like fry getting sucked into the filter.. The whisper really isnt a bad filter.. if it starts making noise it almost always is the impeller shaft a little bent.. I heat tempered mine :twisted:

greenmagi said:
If you already have a filter why dont you try getting a sponge prefilter for it? that could solve some problems.. like fry getting sucked into the filter.. The whisper really isnt a bad filter.. if it starts making noise it almost always is the impeller shaft a little bent.. I heat tempered mine :twisted:

And yes I have far too many filters! LOL

Back
Top Bottom