Another lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've read that thread before...I found it very interesting. If you give it a shot...let us know how it goes.

well i tried it last night and so far so good!!!

i used the advance ballast (REL 4P32 SC)i hooked up one yellow wire and and either the set of red or blue to each bulb. I not sure on how much this is overdriving the lamps but they sure are bright. right now i'm just using regular florecent bulbs to make sure it works so i dont blow up $20 bulbs. i'll keep you posted on the situation. :D

that right. i just don't like the idea of putting it all to one bulb. (that just seems like it is too much power for it to be safe) Any idea on how many watts that would be? i kind of got confused with the thread i had read about. i would like it to be 80, but I'm not sure if that is the case.

If it's a 4x32 ballast...ie designed to run 4 32w T-8 NO bulbs, you are putting 64 watts into each bulb. The ballast is good for 128 watts with each red/blue wire adding 32 watts to the equation. This ballast will also run 4x28w, 2x55w PC's or 1x96w PC. It is essentially a copy of a Fulham Workhorse( or the Sylvania is...not sure about the Advance). The Fulham will run a VHO bulb...I'm not sure if this one will or not...be neat to try just to know. From what I have read (never tried it...yet), the NO bulbs will do fine although they may run a little hotter than usual. Here's something I have wondered about. Will a ballast designed to run 2x40w run 4x20w if the bulbs are paired and wired in series? Like if you went in to the end of bulb 1 and looped back from the other end of it into bulb 2 and back to the ballast. Same thing with bulb 3 & 4. Any ideas? If you read about some country boy in Ga who got blown up fooling with light bulbs, you'll know not to try it :mrgreen:
Logan J

logicaly it would work in theaory ,but i'm not sure if it would or not. i have two 18" bulbs i'll try it and let you know. it should because the are 15 watts each so that would be the standard 30watt rating. i'll let you know.

well i tried it this moring and it works fine!!! the only question that i had is if it would have enough power to start the bulbs and it did!!! what do you think about overdriving it to the max with the whole ballast? what i mean is putting all 128 watts to one bulb? i'm not sure if i trust it, but would like some more opinions.

I think that might be overkill. You could probably overdrive a VHO and maybe an HO to that wattage, but that's like 200%+ overdrive on a 40w bulb. I think, at some point, probably far below that, you'll reach a point where you're not getting any extra light...just heat. And, guessing again, heat will be what kills the bulb.
Logan J

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom