Another newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lauren1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:flowers: Hi all, new to this forum and it looks amazing! I've found myself googling information and hitting this site regularly with good information so I've decided to join. :cool:

I have just started fishkeeping and got some terrible advice from a pet store which led to my betta getting fin rot (they told me he was a cold water fish like a goldfish) it was only when I noticed half his fin missing and started learning about his care that I realised I had done many things wrong. Unfortunately he recently died while being treated with fin rot (bettafix). I also didn't properly understand how to cycle an aquarium so it was just a disaster for my poor betta. However I am learning and are much wiser for the experience and a little bit addicted now, so his life wasn't in vain. I've always loved tropical aquariums so I am learning all I can now and will hopefully run a successful set up in the future.

So that is what has brought me here. I'm here to learn as much as possible before my next fish purchase.

Welcome! Im sorry about your beta, but as you said, now you get to learn and do, knowing his life wasn't in vain.

Feel free to ask any and all questions!
There are no stupid questions!

Thanks bubbles :) Actually I was going to do a post on stocking my 10 gallon planted with fish. I'm trying a fishless cycle at the moment, about to go buy myself a prawn as the fish food isn't really having an impact on the ammonia in the planted tank. Today it was only at .25pp ammonia with 5 pieces of betta food in there overnight. Wish I could get hold of some ammonia but can only get cloudy ammonia.

Anyhow, I'm interested to know what fish can go in with a betta without getting eaten or attacked. I'd like something that can eat algae, I do have algae things I got for free when I bought a plant online. I like the look of tetras too. I'm also in Australia. Shrimps.. no, too ugly. haha.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks bubbles :) Actually I was going to do a post on stocking my 10 gallon planted with fish. I'm trying a fishless cycle at the moment, about to go buy myself a prawn as the fish food isn't really having an impact on the ammonia in the planted tank. Today it was only at .25pp ammonia with 5 pieces of betta food in there overnight. Wish I could get hold of some ammonia but can only get cloudy ammonia.

Anyhow, I'm interested to know what fish can go in with a betta without getting eaten or attacked. I'd like something that can eat algae, I do have algae things I got for free when I bought a plant online. I like the look of tetras too. I'm also in Australia. Shrimps.. no, too ugly. haha.

Any suggestions welcome.

Depending on the individual beta , you may be able to keep some cories and a few small tetras, or a snail.

Im not exactly a stocking expert, but I'm sure if you made a stocking thread you will attract some ;)

Any suggestions welcome.

U can try adfs any kind of tetras
Cory's your best bet is to get a betta that's Alrdy in a tank with others( if your lfs does this)

Thanks guys! I've decided to keep it fishless and just have a single betta in the 10 gallon. Once he's all happy and settled and everything is going well I'll look for a bigger tank for my lounge room and stock that. Gives me lots of time to plan it out. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom