Another Shrimp Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am currently thinking about adding some ghost or cherry shrimp to my tank. This is a 29g tank and I have a very juvenile BN pleco and three cories. I do not want too much competition for algae and other food. Is there another choice for species of shrimp or should I abandon the idea? I was thinking shrimp becasue of the low bio load and neat factors.

I say this to everyone lol, I love the rcs they have great coloration, breed readily, and don't contribute to much bioload, I would recommend them to anyone, plus you can sell the babies for $1 apiece lol

Well from what I have read ghost shrimp don't actually eat algae they are just garbage disposals. In other words they eat leftover food and food that isn't used by fish (poop). I have heard cherry shrimp are great algae eaters though (but I personally don't know much about them), if you are going to put more algae eating stuff in there though then it would be a good idea to supplement their diet with some algae wafers or zucchini or something.

No it's fine to add them with your others..they aren't much competition at all. I would supplement the pleco with a good quality algea wafer and the corydoas with a bottom feeder pellet.

No prob brodey. Also flower shrimp r great ( I really dont know
if they r just another name for vampires ) but as an anecdote ; mine
camp out near the filter inlet letting the food come to them
those r some smart shrimp. And they dont compete 4 algae
but eat micro flora/fauna out of the water column.
basically you cant go wrong with these guys. Their behaviour seems
to say : "whistle while u work" lol

Singapore flower shrimp is actually the same thing as Singapore wood shrimp AKA bamboo shrimp. They are filter feeders so should be added to a well established tank. A 29 gal should be able to easily support atleast a pair. Make sure to place a peice of decor or driftwood in the flow of the filter so they can sit together and filter their food out of the water with their fans :)

Back
Top Bottom