another stocking brainstorming thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright so I haven't bought any new fish in a while and I've had to rehome a few species due to plant destruction (including a rubberlip pleco and two clown loaches). . so any suggestions need to be plant friendly. I also lost a rainbowshark and two turquoise rainbowfish all randomly throughout the last year.

The tank is 60 gallons planted with sand substrate and some natural wood and rocks.

Current stock
1 angelfish (will not replace whenever he dies)
2 boesemani rainbowfish (female I believe, would like to get a male)
2 turquoise rainbowfish
2 bristlenose plecos
3 cory cats (every time I get more they die within a week and the same 3 are still alive so I've given up on getting more)
5 or 6 black kuhli loaches (I get one each time I go to the store... love em!)

I've recently had a problem with hair algae so I would like to get my hands on some true siamese algae eaters. I used to have some and loved them I always remove the infected leaves and been more diligent with water changes and filter maintenance and its been better but it comes back occasionally and drives me nuts.

I would like to get some schooling fish and was thinking of danios and/or rasboras. My Angel is medium size so I think
h.rasoboras would be ok. It looks empty mid to top area.

I'm open for any and all suggestions. And thanks for any input. Sorry for being longwinded...

Scissor tail rasboras would look amazing. They aren't colorful but in a group their schooling behavior is cool

Scissor tail rasboras would look amazing. They aren't colorful but in a group their schooling behavior is cool

Never seen these anywhere. Unfortunately I am somewhat limited to what can be found at petsmart. I don't even like to go into petco around here. I've ordered online before but its expensive.

Hatchetfish are neat surface dwellers. Harlequin rasboras might work depending on their size

I always thought hatchet fish we're ugly. No offense to those that keep them they just never appealed to me. And yes I am looking for something that will be colorful or vibrant at least. Thats why i was looking at the danios are pretty but very active not sure if they would be too "busy" for my liking.

I had my eyes on some golden killifish that were beautiful. Do they do better alone or can multiples be kept?

I've heard people say the golden wonder killis can be aggressive so you wouldn't be able to have tetras or other small fish

I had one once with guppies that ate all the guppies. I don't like tetras so that's not a problem. And the rainbowfish are big enough to handle themselves. I probably wouldn't be able to get any h.rasboras though. I'd assume the danios would be ok as well. The question is would the killis attack bigger fish than them or just eat smaller ones? And would it mess with my kuhli loaches? Maybe something I may not want in the long run.

This is why I try not to make these decisions on a whim... but my Aquarium needa some color and activity! Lol.

If you want a man made fish,glofish a colorful

Not really my thing either...lol. but I do appreciate all of your ideas. And I am glad you pointed out the possibility of the golden killifish possibly being aggressive.

I'd love to get my hands on some German blue or Bolivian rams but haven't seen any recently... but then there I go again with the bottom dwellers... lol.

What about giant danios? Does anyone have any input on these? Do they shoal tightly? Is there an ideal male to female ratio?

*Edit*

Never mind the danios
" Never mix them with fish noted for wanting a slower paced environment."
I always knew they looked really active in the store but I dont need that much excitement in my tank.

Celestial danios are very nice looking fish, pretty mild, not all that big though..

Not familiar with angels but based on their size my danio would be the equivalent of a French fry!

Not familiar with angels but based on their size my danio would be the equivalent of a French fry!

The giant danios get around 4" in a home aquarium. 5-6" in the wild. Angels get around 6" and I think mine is about 4". My rainbows are 3-4" as well so I just dont think i have room for tetras.

I think I'm going to attempt some more cories again and try to find some h.rasboras. the angel is starting to dig around my plants so he may be getting a new home as well.

If you want some activity some tetra will be your best bet... Look at cardnial tetras and red eye tetras. They are 2 of the larger tetras that could be of interest to you. What about thread fin rainbows? You could get about 6-10 for a large, active, and colorful school.

If you want some activity some tetra will be your best bet... Look at cardnial tetras and red eye tetras. They are 2 of the larger tetras that could be of interest to you. What about thread fin rainbows? You could get about 6-10 for a large, active, and colorful school.

I never said I wanted to add activity... I said I'd like to add some color and vibrancy. And I've said from the very first post that I do not like tetras... in fact I absolutely abhor tetras. Anytime I've had them I just really really couldn't wait to replace them.

Anyway not that I don't appreciate the input but I don't know why people would keep trying to push someone to get a type of fish they don't like... and I just don't like tetras.

And I definitely don't want anything crazy active like danios or barbs. I didn't know much about the danios so when I started researching them I realize they would be too disrupting.

I like rasboras and rainbowfish, cories and loaches, peaceful community cichlids like German blue and Bolivian rams. I'm just asking for some ideas on things along these lines that I may not have thought of. For example I never knew anything about Bolivian rams until someone suggested them when I was stocking a 29 gallon.
So if anyone has any suggestions along the lines of the types of fish I like companies that I haven't thought of please let me know.

Thanks!
Ashley

Sorry I didn't realize you were referring to the celestial danios. Those are really pretty... if I could find some I would totally get a school for my kids 10 gallon tank... but right now they are obsessed with the breeding guppies. They've made me set up an old 5 gallon to rescue the fry and my 6 year old daughter is constantly "saving" the babies and putting them in their own tank. So its very enriching for them.

What about a single Pearl Gourami ? Lovely fish, mine were mild mannered.
agree, pearl gouramis, from what you're describing you want, is exactly what you're looking for! They're simply amazing fish. If it already hasn't been suggested thread fin rainbows are very Cool. Rams will also be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom