Another Walmart Horror Story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquamandan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to Walmart last nigh to pick something up and found myself a few aisles over from their fish section so I walked around to check it out. Now I've never bought a fish from Walmart (nor will I ever), I was just curious. To my horror, no less than 20% of their fish were dead, another 20 - 25% were dying and the rest of them just looked unhealthy. There were 2 blue gouramis that looked like they were possessed, they would swim really fast upside down in a corkscrew like motion, it was clear they were dying a painful death. I watched them suffer for 5 minutes, felt really bad for them. By that time one was already on the bottom and the other one was quickly fading.

So then an employee walks around the corner and asks if I need some help with a fish. I kinda laughed and said, No, I don't need any help but all of these fish need a lot of help and said that if you can't even keep your fish alive, you shouldn't be selling them. Poor girl didn't know what to say, I just walked away. Makes me angry when I see that, ya know?

Guys this thread will get closed if you store bash. I advise you edit some of your posts :)

This little (big) guy is a walmart purchase. He wasn't looking too good, alone in this tiny tank. At times on the bottom, though after some time did swim up to us. My fiance and I went in for supplies and came out with an oscar, Ceasar. We were worried about him that first night, but he's great. Since then we've bought him a 125g on cl that came with severum tank mates. I can't wait to put him in his new home. =)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130803_115837.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130803_115837.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 87
This little (big) guy is a walmart purchase. He wasn't looking too good, alone in this tiny tank. At times on the bottom, though after some time did swim up to us. My fiance and I went in for supplies and came out with an oscar, Ceasar. We were worried about him that first night, but he's great. Since then we've bought him a 125g on cl that came with severum tank mates. I can't wait to put him in his new home. =)

I would also like it if they stuck to supplies.

Suit yourself, but I did warn you!

Petco and Petsmart get bashed on here (for the same reasons) almost on a daily basis. Why should Walmart be any different? The only reason people voice their displeasure with these places is because they put the well being of their fish and our beloved hobby in jeopardy. I don't think its a bad thing if they are called out for their ignorance and lack of empathy.

Petco and Petsmart get bashed on here (for the same reasons) almost on a daily basis. Why should Walmart be any different? The only reason people voice their displeasure with these places is because they put the well being of their fish and our beloved hobby in jeopardy. I don't think its a bad thing if they are called out for their ignorance and lack of empathy.

Yes they may be, but on most occasions a mod steps in, or a mod doesn't see it. It's the rules that you aren't supposed to bash stores. In the rules it probably says why it isn't tolerated.

Maybe call them Smallmart as they seem to like to give their fish small living quarters.

Thats a terrible story!! I had no idea that some US pet stores kept their fish in such terrible conditions! Shame on them!!

so where do you folks buy your fish? though I would not go to wallyworld to buy anything alive.

I dont live in the US, but I buy mine in Pets at home, Maidenhead Aquatics (dont know if you will have heard of any of those two) or just a local aquarium store.

I know there is a lot of pets at home bashing on the web, but the one I go to is actually very good in terms of the conditions they keep their pets in and in the knowledge of their staff.

Back
Top Bottom