anubias leaf problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lossam8199

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an issue with my anubias' leaves not expanding like it suppose to be. the leaves just hollowed-in like it never grow out completely. does anybody know what's wrong with it? is it lacking some kind of nutrients?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414455710.419908.jpg I had this piece of anubias for 7 months, it gets a new leaf every month, but the leaves just grow out. and also I am noticing the anubias only grows in one direction. how do I get it to grow in other directions ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you mean the anubias only grows from one end of the rhizome, that's normal. They can branch, but they only grow from the tip of the rhizome or a budding branch. If you want it grow another direction you'd have to turn the plant to face the direction you want it to face. If you cut the growing tip off, it will often cause it to branch, and give you a bushier look but it would take some time, as they don't grow quickly.

I"d guess a nutrient deficiency is the problem with the leaves. If you are not using ferts, I would start feeding it. Light is rarely an issue with them but if you have very powerful lights it may be it is getting too much. Not likely though.

If you mean the anubias only grows from one end of the rhizome, that's normal. They can branch, but they only grow from the tip of the rhizome or a budding branch. If you want it grow another direction you'd have to turn the plant to face the direction you want it to face. If you cut the growing tip off, it will often cause it to branch, and give you a bushier look but it would take some time, as they don't grow quickly.

I"d guess a nutrient deficiency is the problem with the leaves. If you are not using ferts, I would start feeding it. Light is rarely an issue with them but if you have very powerful lights it may be it is getting too much. Not likely though.

nice information about the growing direction thank you! I have another smaller anubias in this tank, next to this big one and it's growing normal, leaves are expanding out and growing faster. I Don't know why the big one grows like this

It is odd, if another is growing properly. Should not be nutrient related if the other one is ok. And they are not heavy feeders. But if you don't feed, try adding some liquid ferts, as the label calls for and see if it helps. It won't hurt, for sure, and the lotus will appreciate it too.

It is odd, if another is growing properly. Should not be nutrient related if the other one is ok. And they are not heavy feeders. But if you don't feed, try adding some liquid ferts, as the label calls for and see if it helps. It won't hurt, for sure, and the lotus will appreciate it too.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414461874.105936.jpgas you can see the anubias on the top left is growing well. leaves developed completely

Back
Top Bottom