Anubias roots yellowing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodeyesniper

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought myself some anubias nana over the weekend from PetSmart and tied them to rocks/driftwood with fishing line.

The roots on the one on the rock look to be yellowing. The rhizome is exposed but might be shaded by some leaves from my lily which exploded.

I have a 6500k light and dosed API Leaf Zone right after I did a water change after adding the plants.

Is there anything I can do to save it before it dies? Perhaps I tied them too tight with fishing line? Should I buy liquid CO2 and dose that? I don't think I have the supplies now to do a DIY CO2 system.

Any suggestions?

All of mine are kinda yellowish at the root and they are doing great new leaves and everything. Maybe yours are still adjusting to the tank? Can we get a picture?
It took about 2 weeks for mine to adjust and spring to life.

I suppose that could be true! Here are some pictures, they're from my phone do might not be great.

One is more yellow and the other is hard to photograph given the placement in the tank, but it looks a little brownish to me

Attachments

• image-3124965422.jpg
    image-3124965422.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 108
  • image-3791654263.jpg
    image-3791654263.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 92
Ya, I would just let them settle. Every time I buy one their roots are always yellowish. Just bought another one ;)
If some leaves start browning just trim them. They will perk up in no time.
Good luck!

Mine look fairly similar too, I have had them for about a year with no problems, only difference is that the roots are more green than that.

Your Anubias

I just bought myself some anubias nana over the weekend from PetSmart and tied them to rocks/driftwood with fishing line.

The roots on the one on the rock look to be yellowing. The rhizome is exposed but might be shaded by some leaves from my lily which exploded.

I have a 6500k light and dosed API Leaf Zone right after I did a water change after adding the plants.

Is there anything I can do to save it before it dies? Perhaps I tied them too tight with fishing line? Should I buy liquid CO2 and dose that? I don't think I have the supplies now to do a DIY CO2 system.

Any suggestions?

Hello good...

It can take weeks for plants to get used to some water conditions. You can do three things to help your aquatic plants. Match the light to the plant. Anubias likes low to moderate light, so a 6500 K, T8 or T12 bulb is fine. I grow it under these bulbs with less than a watt per gallon of tank volume. It's a slow grower under most conditions.

Pure water conditions with high mineral levels are best. Just change out half the tank water every week.

The fish provide the needed macro nutrients and the micros or trace elements you can dose in dry, liquids or granules. I dose a liquid according to instructions when I do the large water change.

Pretty simple.

B

+1 with BBrad. Anubias will take weeks to adjust to your tank. Just give it time. They are pretty hardy so they won't die easy. Once they are pretty adjusted, they will perk and you will see a shoot of new leaf once or twice a month. They grow slowly. It takes patience but it's worth it in the long run.

The roots change colors when exposed to light. My anubias have grown from the driftwood into the gravel and the roots are white below the gravel line. I wouldn't worry about that and like others said, after they adjust they'll be fine

Back
Top Bottom