Any aquarium decorating gurus here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd try something like this. You have an amazing piece of wood to do it. Of coarse your tank is different but you get the idea.

Man i found tht tank on youtube abd dedicated all my time to try nd replicate it in my ten gallon but cant find the dw tht tank is amazing !!

The wood I've got is redmoor root and I got it from a place called the green machine, its an aquascaping shop. It's around an hour from where I live so I went to their shop to choose but they do have a website with really good pictures of the individual pieces on there. I'm not sure where you are from but I think they send overseas but then the postage costs might make it too much :/

This is the bulb I'm using:

img_2274592_0_abe55a7e2fa13aaba129b4a7acb6259a.jpg

It looks something similar to the one in the link but to be honest I don't have a clue what the numbers mean. Will mine be okay?

I don't think we have home depot over here but if not there's plenty of other places I can look if I need to get another.

Lol. I'm in my first 6 months of planted tanks so I'm not sure what all those numbers mean either. I just know that 6500k is the goal number for the color, and the higher the wattage the better off you are. I think mine is 13w which is working for my 10 gallon. I'll get a picture of it when I get up in the morning.

What you need to look for is a bulb just like the one you have but it should say "daylight" on the package. Those daylight spiral CFLs are great for growing plants. The guy above me is right about them. I used them for years and my plants were beautiful (I now use LEDs).

You could easily get some moss and tie it onto the top portion of your wood with brown or green thread. It would look beautiful.

Yeah I completely agree with the rock looking stupid, it's just the wood is not 100% saturated yet so floats, the stone is holding it down. I'll have a go at taking it off next time I mess about with the tank and hopefully the wood will stay down on its own :)

My tank is really small - only 24 liters, not sure how much that is in gallons (I think around 6?)

Then a lower watt daylight would be better. I'd go for something around the 9-13 watt range to start. That really is all you will need. Anything more and algae will be an issue.

I know most think the dark background and sand is good for colored Shrimp, but I have both a dark and a light (with the nearly the same water quality) and I don't see any difference of color.

Eli: it's really easy to add slate to the bottom of your dw so it never floats again. I bought the cheapest "tile" slate at home depot because it's already thin. Then drilled a hole through it with my husbands plain-ol drill. Drilled a matching hole in the dw (be careful not to go all the way through the wood) attach with a screw. No more floating problems. Just make sure you soak your slate and screw after drilling the hole.

Oh and I love red cherries too!! They seem to be hearty lil buggers. I've had mine through all the growing stages and not only have they survived, but they have bred. Now that I'm not so new anymore I paid the extra cash for the yellow ones. They arrive next week. I've heard they will breed with the regular cherries, so I might end up with orange babies! ;) Good luck with whatever kind you choose... Even the $.35 ghosts are cool!!

Thanks everyone for your ideas, just thought I would share with you all a picture of what I've done :)

img_2276652_0_b55a55fce1dbdea23966ac4e8bb93043.jpg

Very nice foreground to background transition and the lighting even improved the effect a d highlights the gnarly wood beautiully

Back
Top Bottom