Any cichlid experts???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr_girlfriend

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've posted about the ulceration problem my flowerhorn has had. Not to much help from this site on that, but has anyone seen this?? The one side of her head is permanently black on one side, and has been for at least a week or two. What could cause this? I think I got a lemon fish :wink: .
One thing after another with this one. I'm running out of treatment options for her ulcers, no joke.

Attachments

• dsc02121.jpg
    dsc02121.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 118
My goodness!! Sorry about this, but I have no experience with ulcers on fish. I wish I could help. What treatments have you tried?

Oh everything :). Salt, melafix/pimafix, prazipro, keflex, metro, etc.
I'm using an antibacterial dip right now called neo-tricide. Ive used it 3 times now, and I'm starting to see some healing on one of her ulcers. So hopefully this will solve this! I don't know why her face turned black on one half like that. I'm wondering if its related to her ulcers? I have no idea! Never seen it before.

How long have you been keeping with the same medication treatment? maybe you just need to stick with it.. you have seen some improvement, maybe its time the fish needs...

yeah, no reply (as usual). The most help I've gotten is from a koi forum, but they dont know about the face discoloration. I was hoping someone else has seen this problem.

I have heard of this type of stuff happening in highly inbred populations of fish. I don't know if that's possible since I've never researched flowerhorns but I've heard of strange colorations on fish in those type of populations. I'd keep it up with your dips, it sounds like they are working from your other posts.

Yeah, after about the 3rd dip I noticed healing!!! At least that will hopefully resolve itself. The face thing is very strange though. Usually when shes stressed or its dark her whole body gets dark, but for whatever reason the one side of her face stayed that way. I think the fish does it on purpose just to throw me off :)

I like it, adds character. Kind of like a "Phantom of the Opera" mask.

*edit: I just realized this thread is from 2005, and that some spammer bumped it.

Back
Top Bottom