Any ideas? Betta still floating to top.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My betta is still hanging in there. He is eating but floating to the top of the tank and going on his side more. I can't tell if he has popeye or not or pine coning (maybe a little). This has been going on Since November. I originally thought he may have burned his tailfin on the heater but decided it was fin rot.

Around 1-6 After many water changes I decided to start 1 tsp salt per gallon (he is in a 5 gallon tank) and Maracyn/Maracyn II combo. My pH was on the high end for MaracynII but I thought I would try anyway.

Then on 1-13 because my water parameters aren't great for Maracyn and it didn't help I started Kanaplex and Furan 2 and Methelyne blue baths.

The rotted part of his tail fin eventually fell away. He had some fungal growth but with water changes that faded. I stopped the salt then he started up with swim bladder issues. I have fasted and tried peas to no avail. He seems to slowly be getting worse but still tries to be social and still eats.

Any ideas? Treating for bacterial swim bladder or parasites? Water parameters are fine and he has been fasted for 3 days then 1 week and then another week. No help.

I am thinking this is systemic and he is dying. There is probably nothing I can do but wanted to double check for ideas. Thanks!

I don't have much. I can say he is a bit bloated in the back but not more or less than when the swim bladder issue started. He is in his cave now but these pics are from last week.

The damage at his tail fin 'may' be healing but not quickly at all.

<update> he came out. This is one from tonight

Attachments

• image-2096300913.jpg
    image-2096300913.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 55
  • image-291809436.jpg
    image-291809436.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 68
  • image-615060295.jpg
    image-615060295.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 60
  • image-3736126042.jpg
    image-3736126042.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 60
From seeing those pics, it doesn't appear to have an external parasites. Internal..who knows?
I do know that the avg lifespan of a Betta is about 2 yrs..sadly. How old is yours?

He has lived with us for 14 mos. this is a pic of him when we first got him:

image-1887229893.jpg

And him 2 mos after:

image-330215726.jpg

I'm pretty sure he was full grown when we got him but I have no idea how old he may be :/

Back
Top Bottom