Any ideas what kind of fish this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camelot_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought it and another out of a "random cichlid" tank at petland. I was thinking possibly paratheraps fenestratus but some confirmation would be nice :p when i got them they were about 2 inches, they have grown a ton since then and that was about a month and a half ago.

Attachments

• image-3321991134.jpg
    image-3321991134.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 126
I bought it and another out of a "random cichlid" tank at petland. I was thinking possibly paratheraps fenestratus but some confirmation would be nice :p when i got them they were about 2 inches, they have grown a ton since then and that was about a month and a half ago.[/QUOTE

I would say you are correct! :)

HUKIT you seem to have some experience with these guys, I have them in a 100gal tank with about six other cichlids and some catfish. Do you think that i Will I have problems keeping them?

They are your typical large aggressive central American reaching 12", but they do tend to have a higher conspecific aggression pattern. What are the other tankmates?

100 gal) -2x Raphael catfish -1x common pleco -2x jewel cichlids -2x Midas cichlids -1x green severum -2x Vieja bifasciatus. -1x auratus cichlid - 1x red tipped shark -1x sun catfish

The jewels, the severum and the sun catfish will be moving to different tanks within the next week or two though.

100 gal) -2x Raphael catfish -1x common pleco -2x jewel cichlids -2x Midas cichlids -1x green severum -2x Vieja bifasciatus. -1x auratus cichlid - 1x red tipped shark -1x sun catfish

The jewels, the severum and the sun catfish will be moving to different tanks within the next week or two though.

Keeping 2 Midevils and a Bifa in a 100g sounds potentially problematic depending on the temperament of the individual fish, my guess there will be some serious aggression issues when they start maturing. The next problem I would forsee would be water quality deteriorating due to a heavy bioload, three large aggressive fish in a 100g tank sounds like a recipe for problems at some point.

So for now my best bet would probably be to give them as much room as possible in the tank, add another filter and keep an eye on water quality and possibly start doing more water changes? :\

Back
Top Bottom