Any Low Light Plant suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattman0182

Aquarium Advice Regular
I started a thread several days ago about how all of my plants died. Most people I talk with seem to think it is a lighting problem. I have a standard 24" 18W aquarium bulb in my 29 gal tank.

I could either get a light specially designed for aqua plants, but how will that affect my fish? They love to hide and may be stressed by a stronger light.

My water has tested fine several times so im almost sure its lighting.

Are there any aquarium plants that dont have much of a light reuirement? Maybe me having live plants is hopeless?

I have rocks as substrate..wish I could switch to sand, but again I dont want to cause all that stress to the fish.

The fish would be fine, but you have options for low light plants as well. Mosses, Java ferns, crypts, anubias, wisteria, etc. All should do ok under that light. How old is the bulb? What spectrum?

Java fern and Java moss do well in lower light. In my 10 gallon I threw all my extra java moss all bunchd up in the corner with the light on only a few hours a day and out of direct sunlight. It is still green and bushy. The only problem with java moss is it gets stuck to the filter but fry love the stuff.

Not sure on the spectrum at all. During the day I would leave the light on, but off in the evening since the tank is in my room. I turn the tank lite off first..then I turn the light off in my room when I go to bed. This kind of simulates an evening to night transition in the tank.

I will look up thos types of plants you mention. Hopefully my LFS has them but I am thinking they dont. I'm not ready to go fake on the plants yet.

might want to run a timer. i would go to home depot and check the bulbs there. look for a daylight bulbs to replace the one you have just in case.

Hornwort and annubias will be ok in that light but just to let you know your fish will adjust to the light if you increase it and be just fine. I had Discus (can be very skittish) in a planted tank with moderate light level and they were not skittish at all after the initial acclimation.
You would be amazed at what they can get used to and even thrive in. And plants give them even more places to hide...so they will like it.

I may go to the LFS store today (If I have money) and get Java Fern. I also want to get sand to swap out with the gravel. Things are very tight at the moment financialy though so I may not get anything.

I post on here what I decide to go with as well as pics when I get done!

P.S. If I dont have money to do the whole sand swap, I will wait on the plants until I get more money. I will probably just get another upside down cat.

I may go to the LFS store today (If I have money) and get Java Fern. I also want to get sand to swap out with the gravel. Things are very tight at the moment financialy though so I may not get anything.

I post on here what I decide to go with as well as pics when I get done!

P.S. If I dont have money to do the whole sand swap, I will wait on the plants until I get more money. I will probably just get another upside down cat.
Check meijer if you have one nearby... i got some bags (50lbs each) of pfs for $1.99 each...

+1

I'm no expert on plants, but from what I've read it sounds like a lot of plants like about 10hrs a day of light, not just several hours in the evening.
in general 8-14 hours depends on several factors.

Back
Top Bottom