Any of these suit my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tank and water info:
47cm cube tank. 27gallons.
Water parameters:
PH;7.6
KH;3.5
GH;5
Temp; 24 degress/76 fahrenheit.
Pics of tank in album for further info.

I just have 1 very aggressive female convict, at 4.5cm, who claims tank as her own. Teared up 2 bristlenose catfish already. But the tank is very empty. Would any of these be suitable, in terms of water quality/parameters, and size of fish/tank:

Red tail shark
Rainbow Shark
Albino Rainbow Shark

Also open for suggestions.
Thanks.

None sorry, all would be a mistake/risk in my opinion due to fish size and territorial/aggression issues.

Is there anything i can add? (apart from another convict)
Tank is really empty.

Thanks.

Tank is really empty.

Thanks.

Unfortunatly I do not think much else can live with that fish in that tank. In that tank I would probably not keep anconvict though. I think they get alittle large.

Thank you for the reply.

From memory, the female convict will only grow around 10cm. Which still leaves me an understocked tank.

Maybe some other small-medium American Cichlids?
Pink convict etc etc?

Tank is really empty.

Thanks.

Convicts can be little terrors sadly.

Best option would be maybe some otos and hope the convict ignores them.

Alternatively maybe some top dwellers could be high enough to avoid attention?

Convicts can be little terrors sadly.

Best option would be maybe some otos and hope the convict ignores them.

Alternatively maybe some top dwellers could be high enough to avoid attention?

Thank you so much for the reply.
Could you name some (more) suitable top dwellers that would have more of a chance of surviving, that also suit my tank size and water.

Thank you for the reply.

From memory, the female convict will only grow around 10cm. Which still leaves me an understocked tank.

Maybe some other small-medium American Cichlids?
Pink convict etc etc?

I am an inches person myself so Im not sure how big that is but its not that there is too much fish for water volume its that there is not enough swimming space.

Thank you again for the reply.
10cm = 4 inch
Roughly....

Oh well thats not too bad. I wouldnt add anything else though. Sucker fish are usually the safest fish in an aggressive tank. If he killed a BN then there is not much I can imagine being safe....

I was able to take both bristlenose back to store to save their life...
Although they were not in good shape. Both taken back in 24 hours after purchase.

Yeah I think I will keep the convict alone. I've become attached to her, but also wanted to add more to the tank as sometimes looking at 1 fish in tank that has lots of room isn't very exciting....

Thank you for your help.

I was able to take both bristlenose back to store to save their life...
Although they were not in good shape. Both taken back in 24 hours after purchase.

Yeah I think I will keep the convict alone. I've become attached to her, but also wanted to add more to the tank as sometimes looking at 1 fish in tank that has lots of room isn't very exciting....

Thank you for your help.

Yep sorry we couldnt provide better news! Although you should be ok to add snails! If you like snails.... a crayfish would also be something you could attempt.

Yep sorry we couldnt provide better news! Although you should be ok to add snails! If you like snails.... a crayfish would also be something you could attempt.

A crayfish or snail?
I never thought of that.

I've never had either before. Which kind of snail will not reproduce at all, in my tank, and will eat algae and left over food?
Also, with crayfish, which do you recommend, to make sure no one kills eachother?

Thanks again.

IMO she will most likely shred a crayfish as soon as it molts.

You might have better luck with a group of tough dither fish, such as Buenos Aires tetra, Colombian tetra, diamond tetra, tiger barbs, etc.

A crayfish or snail?
I never thought of that.

I've never had either before. Which kind of snail will not reproduce at all, in my tank, and will eat algae and left over food?
Also, with crayfish, which do you recommend, to make sure no one kills eachother?

Thanks again.

Nerite snails will not reproduce in freshwater. As far as crays any should work.

Nerite snails will not reproduce in freshwater. As far as crays any should work.

Cambarellus patzcuarensis and Cambarellus shufeldtii are both dwarf crayfish, and a female convict would make short work of either one of them, regardless of molting status. ;)

I really don't think adding a crayfish is a good idea. The larger ones will likely either succumb to the con following a molt, or may injure the con at some point (as they are nocturnal opportunistic feeders).

Cambarellus patzcuarensis and Cambarellus shufeldtii are both dwarf crayfish, and a female convict would make short work of either one of them, regardless of molting status. ;)

I really don't think adding a crayfish is a good idea. The larger ones will likely either succumb to the con following a molt, or may injure the con at some point (as they are nocturnal opportunistic feeders).

Well yes the dwarfs would be an issue lol
I think the largers may be ok if they had a good hiding place. And I do not think they would gurt the con.
Marbled or self cloning crays are a little more peaceful. You could try one of those. Then when it had babies the con would hage food.

Back
Top Bottom