Any of you all have fish that eat out of your hand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a clown that use to be very afraid when I would walk by the tank. He now eats out of my hand. Infact he usually wont eat unless I hand feed it to him, its really weird to me (found out about eating out of the hand becuase I had to get my cyclopeeze flakes wet so they would sink into the water and not just suck down the overflow). When I get by the tank for a picture he comes right to where Im at and swims right infront of me. Is this normal? I know its probally not bad, but just curious if other people have this happen.

My fish "beg" more for food than my rottweiler at this point lol. I don't like it in a way b/c it is far from the natural behavior they used to exhibit. I can't go near my tank w/ out about a dozen eyes looking back expecting food. What is interesting is they seem to only do this for me, and recognize "strangers". Good to hear your enjoying your tank.

Clowns n chromies both come right up to me food or not..
Skunk cleaners flock to me..
Even my big peppermint shrimp comes to me from time to time..

Dragon goby and jawfish still hide..sorta.. (not as bad as at first)

Darn skunks won't leave me alone when I am workin in the tank...and they can pick hard for lil critters.. (course my prize skunk cleaner is about 4" long now hehe)

LOL. Well my goby is nowehere to be seen most the time. I can see him when I turn the lights on, then he goes back into his den, whre you can usually only see his head sticking out. Im hoping that he will get more conmforatble and explore more often.

My skunk shrimp see the krill in my hand as I am walking from the freezer to the tank and they get all excited (clawing like mad at the side of the tank) and then they usually wait for me to give it to them by hand. I've only had them for about a week and they are not afraid of me now. Sometimes I can pickup my bigger one and he'll 'clean' my palm and the backside of my hand. It's pretty funny to see. I'll get a picture of it someday and submit it for photo of the month.

My coral banded would climb up my hand and all around it picking off dead skin and what not. My sfe also eats right from my hand, pretty much the only way to feed him.

My purple tang will eat from his clip while I still got my hand on it. My citron goby nibble at my hand when feeding flakes.

All my tangs will eat from my hand. The skunk cleaners jump on my hand and go up and down my arm when I am working in the tank. No food needed.

Manny and Moe (my peppermints) love to clean my hands.. it is hilarious to watch them swim upside down from one side of the tank to the other just to get to me..

My yellow tang eats seaweed out of my hand and my clowns eat out of the syringe I use to give them brine... Ive never tried my hand but now im sure I will

All of my fish except the shrimp goby swarm my hand even without food... or anything else I put in there. I've read posts about people wanting to know how to catch a fish. If I put a net in I have to work to keep them out of it.

I forgot to add I can just put my hand in the water (no food) and my convict tang will come to me and let me pet/touch it.

Greets all. First post on the forum :)

I have 2 baby false percs that I got when they were under an inch long. They are now just getting some size and I'm assuming one has become female since it's slightly bigger than the other. These guys are right at the surface with their heads out of the water and mouths open when I go to feed the tank when I come home from work "Feed Me Seymour!!" hehe. My 2 favorite fish by far.

Here's a strange one though. I have a little emerald mithrax crab that hitched in on a piece of LR. Almost never see him and sometimes I wonder if he has died or something. This guy will come up and take nori from my hand on the rare occasion that I see him.

Brenden said:
All my tangs will eat from my hand. The skunk cleaners jump on my hand and go up and down my arm when I am working in the tank. No food needed.

My tangs and shrimp do the same thing. My shrimp are crazy when i put fakes in the tank, the flakes float on the surface and the shrimp go flying to the surface upside down, and the walks to the flakes. Its like the shrimp are waliking upside-down at the surface.

My lunare wrasse will jump out of the water to get something in my hand. When feeding, i have to be careful of him because he is so reckless abandon that he'll launch out of the water when he grabs food on the surface. But he's just so fearless he'll take anything from my hand.

Back
Top Bottom