Any Ranchu Goldfish Experts/Breeders out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakesMcCoolWhip

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a ranchu today from the local petland and I want you knowledgeable guys out there to analyze him. I really want a pronounced wen and he had the largest wen (or soon to be wen) out of all the other small ranchu there. Tips on care (I'm keeping him in a baby fish basket to keep him in shallow water to encourage wen growth/planning on feeding bloodworms) feeding tips and in general things to do/avoid. As always, the help is much appreciated! Pics below

Pancakes

How does shallow water encourage wen growth.

IME wen growth comes down to genetics and proper care, not magical tricks. Provide high quality food and water and he should max out his potential (which may or may not be impressive at all).

IMO a healthy goldfish is the one to be the most proud of, not one with the best example of some arbitrary standard.

Thanks for the reply fishguy. I guess I made a mistake attributing wen size to the health of the ranchu. I was just worried because I heard about fish being stunted. I had also thought the size of the wen is an indicator of good health as well as general girth/fatness. I wasn't aware it was a genetic thing. He came out of a tank with some fish louse in it which i had seen on another goldfish in there but he seems louse-free. I decided to keep him in the net because i thought it would make it easier for me to feed him/keep the lice at bay from invading the aquarium (i don't think they can get through the fine netting on a stocking, right?)

Pancakes

If there are no visible fish lice it shouldn't be an issue.

Wen is definitely genetic. You can take the best care possible and still end up with a barely visible wen.

I think he would be happier in the tank, not trapped in the net.

Back
Top Bottom