Any thoughts/comments on Fluvals "Chi" 5g kits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Limpet

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking to rehome our beta (with a shoal of something + plants) in this kit and wondered if anybody has it, used it or possible suggestions on an alternative. A standard aquarium won't fit size or decor wise, so that's why we're leaning towards this one.

TIA

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

I'm also thinking of getting one of these as a beta tank in my room. I dont know if I would put companions with a betta with a 5 gallon.

What is your budget for this project?

I think the tanks look really nice... obviously from the other threads you know the stocking choices will be very limited. The main complaints I have heard on the system: 1. The filter is not great. 2. The stock lighting is somewhat insufficient for growing most live plants.

I have the Chi and Fort is 100% correct. I literally threw the light/filter away.

itsgracia said:
I'm also thinking of getting one of these as a beta tank in my room. I dont know if I would put companions with a betta with a 5 gallon.

Yeah, been debating that with my GF, but she wants Elvis to have some groupies to keep him company :D.

fort384 said:
What is your budget for this project?

I think the tanks look really nice... obviously from the other threads you know the stocking choices will be very limited. The main complaints I have heard on the system: 1. The filter is not great. 2. The stock lighting is somewhat insufficient for growing most live plants.

No real limit (happy beta+happy GF=happy me:)). But I can't see spending $300 on the designer one I've seen (can't remember brand).

Between what you said about filter/LED's and a couple reviews about the open top causing high evaporation and fish jumping out, I'm wondering if there's something better on the market.

do!Aqua cube glass Mini M -- $50

aqua forest aquarium

Archaea Clip on 13W CF Light -- $38.99 (you could upgrade for a bit more if you want more light)
aqua forest aquarium

Azoo Palm nano HOB Filter -- $8.99
Power Filter for Small & Desktop Aquariums: Azoo Palm Filter

TOTAL: $97.98 + some shipping

The do!Aqua cube gardens are almost as good clarity wise as the regular ADA cube gardens and are comparatively cheaper. The Archaea lights like I linked to are a little pricey, but sharp looking. If you live anywhere near San Fran or ever go there, you could pick the stuff up from Aqua Forest... otherwise there would be some shipping costs involved. All in all, this would be a great setup for a low light tank... Just some suggestions.

Last edited:
fort384 said:
do!Aqua cube glass Mini M -- $50

aqua forest aquarium

Archaea Clip on 13W CF Light -- $38.99 (you could upgrade for a bit more if you want more light)
aqua forest aquarium

Azoo Palm nano HOB Filter -- $8.99
Power Filter for Small & Desktop Aquariums: Azoo Palm Filter

TOTAL: $97.98 + some shipping

The do!Aqua cube gardens are almost as good clarity wise as the regular ADA cube gardens and are comparatively cheaper. The Archaea lights like I linked to are a little pricey, but sharp looking. If you live anywhere near San Fran or ever go there, you could pick the stuff up from Aqua Forrest... otherwise there would be some shipping costs involved. All in all, this would be a great setup for a low light tank... Just some suggestions.

15 minutes north of SF, so.... road trip!!

I like the rimless look and size wise, it's perfect.

Thanks fort!

Or you can get a Fluval Edge. The lights on this will probably still have to be replaced if you want plants though but it comes with an AC20.

I just realised you are from N.Cali...so am I!

Oh, cool. It will definitely be worth the trip I think. From what I have read, they have some amazing display tanks. You will get a lot of good ideas... just leave the credit cards at home ;).

FYI as well, they are closed on Tuesdays I think, if you were planning on headed down tomorrow.

itsgracia said:
Or you can get a Fluval Edge. The lights on this will probably still have to be replaced if you want plants though but it comes with an AC20.

I just realised you are from N.Cali...so am I!

Looked at it, but it's too wide for the shelf. I'll do an instore review, so if you haven't been to the store fort linked, stay tuned.

fort384 said:
Oh, cool. It will definitely be worth the trip I think. From what I have read, they have some amazing display tanks. You will get a lot of good ideas... just leave the credit cards at home ;).

Since they're mini tank experts, I'm sure they'll have some excellent suggestions. As for cost, with the chi+light redo+filter replacement, I bet I'll come in around the same price with a cleaner/better look.

jenatronQT3.14159 said:
Take pictures!!

I will and thanks for your take on the chi.

There are some smaller/different shaped cube gardens as well... I am sure you will find something you like. Not sure if Aqua Forest sells that AZOO HOB I linked, but I used that exact model on a 5.5gal for years with great results (at a GREAT price). Something like that would be a good way to shave cost on a great looking setup.

I am jealous that you get to go in person... however, it is probably good that I live on the opposite coast and not 15 minutes away, or I would be buying stuff every weekend.

fort384 said:
I am jealous that you get to go in person... however, it is probably good that I live on the opposite coast and not 15 minutes away, or I would be buying stuff every weekend.

There's a few good stores in SF proper, but haven't gone in for some time because the traffic/parking is *$%@# (pardon my french :p). Only now, rather than window shopping, I have a mission :D.

I am sure there are a few nice stores in a great city like San Fran... but there are only 2 official ADA dealers in the entire USA... and Aqua Forest is one of them. I am kind of an ADA fanboy if you couldn't tell :p

Back
Top Bottom