Anybody know what kind of shrimp this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LazySlacker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
About 8 weeks ago I went to my local aquarium store looking to buy a couple of plants. They had just gotten a new shipment in and they were really busy, so they didn't have much time to help me (which is okay, I didnt want any specifically). Anyway, I was looking around and I ended up buying 2 plants and a driftwood log, all of which have been great additions to my tiny 10 gallon tank, they really make it look much nicer. One of the plants have really grown a lot and looks a lot more natural than when I put it in there.

ANYWAY. Amid the hurry of the employee that helped with my purchase, he failed to notice that deep within the larger plant that I bought was a shrimp! I only paid for the plants, and I was very surprised when I got home to find a fairly large shrimp in my tank that I had apparently just brought home. To make a long story short, I was wondering if you guys knew what kind of shrimp it is, as I'm not really familiar with shrimp.

0323qh9.jpg

Not 100% sure... maybe glass shrimp?? I think thats their name, I don't know hehe, I tried :p

well I was under the impression that glass shrimp and ghost shrimp and those types are usually 1/2 to 2/3 of a inch long... this guy is like 1.5 inches long, maybe a hair longer. But thanks for your help.

Hehe, no problem... otherwise the only thing I can think of you doing is googleing freshwater shrimps... and look at pictures until you find one that looks like it could be it

That is a Flower shrimp, sometimes also referred to as a Bamboo shrimp. I have several (one for well over a year now), and I LOVE them!

They are filter feeders, filtering plankton and other tiny critters out of the water for their food, so you generally don't need to specifically feed them. Mine do sometimes sit on an algae tablet feeding, though.

I'd definitely read up on them. They are easy to keep in my experience, but don't like water that is too soft and NEED a certain amount of iodine in the water to molt successfully.

I wasn't 100% positive but I was going to say it was a bamboo shrimp as I had seen them before and it looked very similar to the ones that I have seen before.

In addition to the above advice, I think it is recommended that there is a decent flow of water in the tank as it makes it easier for the shrimp to feed, as they are filter feeders.

thanks guys... Actually he molted about 2 weeks ago and he didnt seem to have a problem so apparently theres some sort of iodine in my water already.

The flowing water suggestion is a VERY good one! My Flower shrimp hang off leaves and onto rocks in the direct output of my filters. They're amazing creatures and a lot of fun to watch! They're really quite beautiful, too.

Back
Top Bottom